Getting started...

Speak your mind

Getting started...

Postby madpoet on Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:16 pm

So my eventual goal is complete control ;). Right now however I've got to start with step 1. I've got an HTPC, a USB-UIRT, a variety of set top gear, and a Stylistic touchpad PC for eventual remote use. I would assume I need to do it int he following order:

1) Get Girder working right with all my devices and my IR transmission
2) Get Xlobby working on the HTPC to control Girder events
3) Configure Xlobby for Server mode and then set up the client "remote".

I'm shaky as heck about Girder, but I'll learn. The initial XLobby configuration doesn't seem as complicated, but I'm sure it will be ;). Step 3 however leaves me wondering. I've read the documentation... am I understanding correctly that I would install Xlobby on both the touchpad device (runs Win2K) and the HTPC. Then you set up the Server parameters in the text file on the client to point at the server (my HTPC). Is that all there is to it? I don't have to deal with sending internet event commands to Girder, or anything like that?

Thanks,
MP
madpoet

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:15 am

1) Get Girder working right with all my devices and my IR transmission

you can do trasmission in xlobby with the usbuirt plugin, I know because I have one and I wrote the plugin.

2) Get Xlobby working on the HTPC to control Girder events

yah you have can xlobby control girder events through the event manager in xlobby's setup screen.

3) Configure Xlobby for Server mode and then set up the client "remote".

Most people get confused here, but just to make sure your not and I dont think you are. The client is actually just a remote control for the server. So you only want ONE installation of xlobby on your server machine, and then you'll need the 2 client files on the simpad to remote control the server.
stevenhanna6

Postby madpoet on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:26 pm

Cool... that handles my external devices. But now you've confused me on the client/server. So Xlobby is installed on the server. What gets installed on the client piece (my touchpad)? I thought it was another instance of Xlobby, but configured to point to the server for details. Thanks for helping.

-MP
madpoet

Postby Cosworth on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:03 pm

Your touchpad only needs two files (and .net installed) The files reside in the "client" directory and are the servers.txt file and the small xlobby2sd.exe. Just edit the servers text file to point it to your Xlobby server.
(many people confuse a physical file server with xlobby's server/client software)
Cosworth

Postby madpoet on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:01 pm

Ok, installed and started playing last night... it really is a lot easier than I thought ;). Thanks for the pointers.
madpoet