Fate of "OLD" XLobby - A question for stevenhanna6

Speak your mind

Postby Wayne123 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:43 pm

I use older Fujitsu Stylistic tablet PCs, I have 3400 and LT500 PCs that are available cheap on the net. they work well with Xlobby now except for they drop connection sometimes. I also use them with Premise Home control that has a nice feature I hope Xlobby will have and that is automatiic reconnect to the server.
Wayne123

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:16 am

lpg, I feel the same way, that's why I put out the request for a version geared towards the DIY'er/tweakster. Something more or less exactly as it is now, only more polished...bugs fixed, some extra feature to enhance it etc. Their primary customers will still be Calrad's, and maybe a few of us who can afford this sort of hardware, but I hope the "little" guys aren't forgotten about.

I guess only time will tell what's going to happen with it.
Marbles_00

Postby wesblack on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:17 am

There will be plenty of existing Calrad products that work for DIY'er/tweaksters and more for the system integrator professionals. There are some new products that we have available but are not showing at the moment until we get a little further with the new versions of the software and complete the integration of the Xlobby and Calrad websites. We hope to provide the Xlobby software in several versions for each type of user as well as hardware for each type of user's budget. There will be products that everyone will be able to use and afford.

Wes
wesblack

Postby lpg on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:24 am

Marbles_00 wrote:lpg, I feel the same way

It was because of your comments about product pricing that sent me to see for myself. I hope also that in the end what Wes and Steven come up with will work for us at a price point that the world wide group of xLobbiers will embrace. This is the best group of individuals I have seen on web and it would be ashame to loose it.

Larry
lpg

Postby rbziggy on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:02 pm

I know you are very early in thoughts about pricing etc but following this thread I wonder if you would consider the following:

Some / many people use XL just for media (whether single or multi-room). I certainly use it for this purpose but what also attracted was the ability to link in (albeit not that easily) to other HA software. For me the xAP interface plugin has been a winner.

Clearly, you are seeing custom product integration as being a high-end (high price???) feature for installers. But would you consider allowing the DIY end of the spectrum (e.g. xAP) protocols to remain in scope of some of the more basic packages. This would allay concerns that such bridging interface features will become beyond the means of some/many.

Personally, I'd still happily buy a commercial XL if it were to offer improved (read robust) DIY interfacing features such as xAP, X10 and maybe serial RS232 (understand that this last may be a step too far!). Perhaps, even add to that some kind of script / logic control within the core product. But (clearly guessing wildly with no basis for that speculation whatsoever) suspect I may not be into spending anything near AMX/Crestron levels to get them. (i.e. if I could have afforded such a 'professional' setup, I would have bought it already.)

Hope this helps your thinking.
rbziggy

Previous