Girder Control

Speak your mind

Girder Control

Postby mkaylor on Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:27 pm

I know that XLOBBY can send commands to Girder. But can Girder send commands back to XLOBBY?

Hear's my reasoning, when pressing a button on an X10 remote (ATI Remote), I'd like XLOBBY to flip to a certain screen.

It would also be cool if you could cause a volume slider to go up and down or a button say mute when you mute from a remote.

Thanks,
Mike
mkaylor

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:43 pm

i dont know if girder can send commands back to a program....I've never tried it.....i'll try to remember to look into it.....
stevenhanna6

Postby BHoward on Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:16 pm

I have 2 way comm's going with Girder.

The first is Girder to Xlobby. Every button has an Event code associated with it. There are standard ones in the installation document. Make sure you use those (makes life alot easier!). All the others must be assigned a numeric code. I started a 100 for the main screen, 120 for the Album list, etc.

In Girder, learn your remote code associated with a command. The action of the command will be
1) Click the Command Tab
2) Select Command from the drop down list
3) enter 55555 in the WParam
4) enter the number you assigned to the button
5) Click apply
6) Click the Taget button
7) Find XLobby in the top list called Running Tasks/Windows and select it (note XLobby must be running). This will populate the Setting section of the window
8) Uncheck all except for the Executable (should be XLobby2.exe)
9) Click OK

When you press the remote button, it sends the event to Girder, which in turns sends a message to XLobby to activate that button.

To get XLobby to send a message to Girder, follow the instructions in the Install doc. Why do this ..... good question.

In my case, I have the Application groups (ie CDex, TT, etc) disable, but have the App started commands in another group. When you press TT Start from the remote, I enable the TT Group and disable TT Start command. This prevents 2 copies of TT from running. If I click on TT button in XLobby, I must tell Girder that TT is to be started and arrange the groups as required. Girder actually does all the work, it changing resolution, starting TT, enabling the group, disabling the start command, etc.
BHoward

Talking about X10...

Postby Tobor on Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:50 pm

... it would be nice if XLobby in the future could support some X10 control. Interaction with HomeSeer would be very nice :lol: since you don't have to invent a while twice.

Back to my own setup (X10 is controlled by Girder)... it already would be nice if XLobby could 'display' (some) of the status of my X10 devices...

Peter
Tobor

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:03 am

tobor is x10 controlled through a x10 girder plugin? or some kind of standalone exe?
stevenhanna6

Postby sdumas on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:18 am

You can do both.

There is a plugin for X10 in Girder and there is also an EXE that comes with X10.

The EXE allows you to send commands like "on", "off", "dim to 50" etc. You have of course to give the address of the X10 device you are trying to control.
sdumas

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:12 pm

so the standalone EXE should be good enough then.
stevenhanna6

Postby MFan on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:27 pm

tobor,

I don't know if you have seen it, but if you want to use xlobby to interface with homeseer, there is a nice little program that homeseer offers called hsc.exe. It is easily called with the external events tab in the xlobby configuration screen and you can adjust devices and trigger homeseer events. The site is

http://www.homeseer.com/downloads/

It is a freebie. I use it to trigger homeseer events such as closing all drapes and it works just fine. I haven't looked into feedback as I have the cheaper devices that do not send feedback.

Don
MFan

Postby Tobor on Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:00 pm

This sounds nice! Actualy I was happy if i could only 'display' the status of my X10 devices (lights) on my Tv using XLobby. As far as i know now, it should be possible to also control them. This is done now bij using my remote-control -> Girder -> HomeSeer.

I will look into the HomeSeer plug-in (thanks for mentioning) when i set-up my new HTPC next week.

Peter
Tobor