xlobby and RFID

Got an idea, post it here

xlobby and RFID

Postby billberet on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 pm

I have done some programming with rfid's and i think it could make a great addition to xlobby
here is a simple kit i use, In the business world, rfid's are used to track product, but what if YOU are the product.
then all you have to do is tag yourself.
http://www.emblitz.com/pdf/Ec95825_EmBl ... RM_Kit.pdf

what i'm thinking is you can have your music and video follow you with the RFID tag.
as you move from room to room, Xlobby can move video and audio from zone to zone.

if you keep your rfid in your wallet, every time you come home, the music can start playing automatically
when you walk in the door. or turn the lights on, etc.

just a thought, since xlobby is all about automation, might as well go all out !!!!!!
:)
billberet

Re: xlobby and RFID

Postby Jay on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:09 pm

Good WAF too, if properly applied. One of the guys over at HomeSeer put one in his wife's handbag. I think it opens the garage door, unlocks the people door, greets her and other things.

Maybe it makes her a drink, too :D
Jay

Postby billberet on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:09 pm

see, great minds think alike
i like the wife tag thing, this way i can keep tabs on her, lol
billberet

Postby Jay on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:04 am

Neiman Markus alert! :lol:
Jay

Postby smarty on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:06 pm

billberet wrote:I have done some programming with rfid's and i think it could make a great addition to xlobby
here is a simple kit i use, In the business world, rfid's are used to track product, but what if YOU are the product.
then all you have to do is tag yourself.
http://www.emblitz.com/pdf/Ec95825_EmBl ... RM_Kit.pdf

what i'm thinking is you can have your music and video follow you with the RFID tag.
as you move from room to room, Xlobby can move video and audio from zone to zone.

if you keep your rfid in your wallet, every time you come home, the music can start playing automatically
when you walk in the door. or turn the lights on, etc.

just a thought, since xlobby is all about automation, might as well go all out !!!!!!

How much "assembley" is needed with these kits (I can't really tell this from their homepage)? It kinda looks to me that these "kits" require significant "farting around" to get them working. It this correct? If this is correct, does anyone know of someplace that sells these kits already assembled and ready for depolyment?
smarty

Postby billberet on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:23 pm

this is true, there is some programming you have to do.
but the board is already assembled.

there are other kits that are plug and play
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/907a/
ther are lots of RFID DIY toys to use, at work i tagged all the equiptment in our warehouse so they can be tracked.
that's where i got the idea of tracking humans instead. since the rfid is only a simple antenna, it can be put on anything.

I am going to work on this project when i get some spare time, i have a bunch of RF cards and other video recognition, biomatrix products i use at work, so it shouldn't be hard to retro-fit it to home use.
billberet

Postby scottw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:42 pm

I love this idea. Just recently I was looking for a way, with bluetooth, to be able to unlock my front door without needing a key. Similar to how some of the newer cars work with the bluetooth "fob" left in the wifes purse or pocket.

Could not find anything with a reasonable price tag.

RFID should be able to work, maybe.

I would like to hear more about what could be done. My only concern is getting it started and up and running.
scottw