Is this the real structure of Xlobby?

Speak your mind

Is this the real structure of Xlobby?

Postby kasje on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:25 pm

Oke, let me have a go.

After one month of hairpulling and updating my readingglasses for the second time, i try to summarize what i have learned so far with Xlobby......please correct me if i'm wrong!!

Every new page (screen) i make in xlobby, i have to make a new eventGROUP with the same name of the screen under F2 --> events.
Every button i make in that new screen has to have an event under this new eventgroup.
The only other eventgroup is the gotogroup where you can direkt your buttons to other pages (screens)

So what do i need to do first?
Do i first have to make the eventgroup before a make a new screen?
Do i then make first the new event in this new group before i make the new button?

The commands under F2 are command that are with xlobby..so i can not alter them?
Then i have to look at this
http://www.xlobby.incolby.com/EventVariableSheet2.htm
so i understand what each command can do for me?

Everybody should print this page at home and keep it in reach.

first i assign then the command and under Tab or pauze button in xlobby, i can specify
the command even further with the variables of these commandgroups?

And then offcourse i have to know all the differend varibles of the plugins to i could
implement it in my screen.

I'm crying for 1 month now for such a structural help file like this.

Can someone please correct this where i was wrong or add some value to it.

Damn if i was a bit smarter i would make a videodemontration myself. :D
kasje

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:43 pm

Eventgroups have nothing to do with screens... u can use any event belonging to any group on any screen... naming eventgroups similarly is just skinning convention to keep things manageable.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:04 pm

P3rv is right. You can organize your events however you want. It is usually easier to manage events associated to specific screens. Like anything associated to a movie screen, have an event group called movies and all events that effect that screen go there...but it is not written in stone that that is the way it should be.

Dude, you've been asking for a video demostration, but how do you think it will help, unless it is customed/tailored to your needs as Xlobby is so large, where do you start? You ask for X, but then someone will ask for ABC...it would be never ending and a very daunting task. The best thing to do is start by downloading a real simple skin (or just use the default skin) and see how things are done. Press F2 and look at the setup, the events for the skin, file types etc. Then go to the skin editor and see how the different objects are associated to the setup. The KISS skin is a great starter and even Buddabing included a great manual in setting it up to perform the basics (this manual is a basic for every skin). Even Colby's skin is a good starter (I've learned tons by looking at those two skins myself). Most of the things your asking can be found just by looking at those skins. Then when you feel more comfortable, start looking at more complex skins like the Heavy Metal series. Sometimes, this is the best route to take because you may loose on translation and terminology when asking things in the forums.

Point is, we've all been exactly where you are. Hell, I've given up on Xlobby, tried a competitor (which is now dead by the way), only to come back and try to prevail.....I'm still learning and trying new things (example...I just learned how to setup a password protected screen...basic for most, but new to me).

Check the forum for problems you have...you'd be surprise to find out that at least one person has had a similar problem.

When it come to plugins, most plugins in the forum come with basic instructions in setting them up and getting them running. The authors of the plugins are always around to lend a hand, and are openly willing to, should you need it.

Most of all, don't be worried to ask questions. Guys and girls here are great for lending a hand. The French team have more than gone out of their ways to help me with different things, not to mention Colby, Buddabing, Jawaldo, tswhite...erg...the list is never ending....Thanks guys. :wink:

Just keep trying new tasks and hang in there. Learn how it is done then move onto another task. Before you know it, you'll have mastered what you will have needed.

Hope this was helpful.
Marbles_00

Postby kasje on Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:39 pm

thanks guys for your reply,

but all what your are telling me, i know already. I've read all the first users documentations. It is just all about setting up the main 4 screens...like music, pictures, waether and video. These are screens that are easy to setup cause it's just pointing to a directory at my harddisk with the music or pictures files.
Really out of the box setting up. For something like that, i could easy go to other htpc frontends. But if someone want to do something different (more cutomize) then xlobby is the best thing out there.

So one would expect that when you are a novice user and you want something more from xlobby, you go to a forum main topic like
advanced users customizing...where you could find a few vidotutorials like..
-how to make your own 3d buttons with photoshop or
-How to make a custom database with amc.
-how to make your own xml file.
-how to build your first 2 screen with buttonlinking.
-How to implement a plugin

they all don't have to be videotutorial, just the first and the fourth.

The last one could be explained with screenshots...what the plugin does,..what the variables are of that plugin.

Now the problem is that all the solutions are shattered over the forum.
I don't want to critisize anybody but it looks like chaos to me.
I know what hard work you experts done over the years on this forum...i was really amazed with the level of help you could have here.

Then suddenly i discovered this on the french forum
http://www.france.xlobby.com/forum/inga ... e/menu.htm

This is more like it. So most people have an overview what all the possibilities are of xlobby.
The only problem is that it's in french..so not easy to read for me and many others.

I'm sure if something like i suggested was available, more people would try to get the full potential out of xlobby.

Now most of the time, i've read that people tried xlobby but when they wanted to do something special that was not out of the box startup xlobby, they leave xlobby to try something more easy.

I can not imagine that you guys just want xlobby to be for a few experts, who are clever enough to make it all work.

Just my humble thoughts :wink:
kasje

Postby Mannyman on Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi Kasje,
I think you have a very good idea.
Let's lead by example.
If you make a video, even for something you consider very basic, I think you may get the ball rolling.
I know that most people have very customized implementations that they think may not be applicable to others, but sometimes just 1 common procedure may be detailed that will help others.

If anyone knows of free screen recording software, let me know.
I found one on sourceforge, but didn't like it much, now I'm using:http://www.zdsoft.com/screen-recorder/

I think my 1st video will be trying to create a tv episode screen from scratch using Guides from Colby and others and that new tv man plugin.
Mannyman

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:02 pm

I would have to agree, what the French team offers would be great if ported over to English (and other languages). I would even offer my time to assist in the conversion process. To me this is far more worth while to have then video tutorials.

The only one in your list of examples that I could see a use for a video tutorial is linking a button between two screens. There are plenty of photoshop tutorials on the web dedicated to creating buttons...view my post here for a simple few:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589
not too sure if it would be worth spending the time in creating a video for something that is so well documented.

Learning to write xml file tutorials as well are all over the internet. Googling I found pages of information. Again, it is so well documented, how would a video tutorial help.

Just two examples.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like your idea, and as Mannyman suggests, making one on something you have learned so maybe the next guy can learn from your work as well may be a good start, and a template for the rest of us who may want to try and tackle that as well.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:46 am

I have to agree with marbles here... many of themes u suggested for video tutorial are badly selected... they dont really belong to XLobbys backyard... if we start to document these things how would we have time to document xlobby ever? Dont get me wrong, i think videotutos are exellent idea... but its not xlobby forums job to teach xml, photoshop or programming. These are consider prequisites and are covered in literature 1000 times over.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby kasje on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:52 am

Thanks for all the reply's guys, i really appreciate this.

But the biggest problem for me is that when a novice users ask a question, most of u give him a very difficult answer back.
I had to search for one hour on the forum to find out what Amc was. or
mpc or some programmings terms. I have friends here, who never even heard of winamp. You two alone have over the 600 reply's on this forum alone so most of the terms for you are music in your ears....for me its most of the time Chinees :)
Did you know i never have worked with Photoshop...i even don't own the software. Just like xlm..as a programmer..it's childsplay but for me it's indian signlanguage :wink:
I give you a simple example...recently i made a new screen for my collection of musicvideo's...so i imported a virtual folder and i wanted to make 2 buttons (one up en one down) next to this window to scroll through the files. I have enough buttons from all the others skins so no problem..but then...how do i link these buttons to scroll the files in that window.
Now for you guys, i maybe easy..for me its 3 days work to figure out how this works. I'm looking at all the other skins, how they did it but then you have to know where to look offcourse. So i did it but i have no idea why it works now.
Something from a precious post of mine :
<<I downloaded my screen recorder pro and gave it a try...set my resolution at 800*600..recorded 5 frames/sec and then put my mic to my lips and gave it a go. then i converted to file to swf format with the program and had a file of 9 meg for 2.25 minutes. And yes cristalclear view. So If any of you want to give it a try...90 megs for +- 22 minutes.

you can upload it to rapidshare or youtube or google vieo etc so that everybody can download it. Or even split it to smaller pieces with the program.

So it must be possible. Who wants to try it!! >>

I'm sure that if i take a lower resolution, we can make it even smaller.
I can give it a try myself but my english s*cks..and even then i don't now that what i'm doing is the correct way of doing it :?

You must understand..i'm not an expert like you guys but i do have a 17 inche lcd touchscreen and a beamer and a big livingroom :D so i also want to make something beautiful like you do. So i want to learn everything to..but if it takes me 2 years to master it all...sorry..thats way to long. So if i see a videotutorial with a guy who just makes two screens with a few button and links them all together with the events then we all have a quick start.

Thanks for listening
kasje

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Dude, I am far from being an expert...I'm the first one to admit it. The best way I have learned is to look to see how things are done in other skins, try and find the forum post matching my issue, then ask the questions on how to do something. You will find that that is virtually how everyone has been doing it here from the start.

Did you know i never have worked with Photoshop...i even don't own the software.

If that is the case, a video tutorial would never be able to assist you. Photoshop is a beast all on its own, and the primary thing you have to understand with that software is everything is done in layers. Remember that and your well on your way already. Everything else is to add effects the respected layers. Most tutorials are based on this.

Just like xlm..as a programmer..it's childsplay but for me it's indian signlanguage

You will find that it is "indian signlanguage" for most people. A video tutorial would not be able to show anything different from what you can read on the internet about xml. It would be more boring to watch a video of someone typing code on the screen then to read on how functions are done.

I had to search for one hour on the forum to find out what Amc was

A quick search of the forums here on "AMC" revealed 24 matches (including this one) on the subject. From there you could "Google" Ant Movie Catalog to find out more details on the software...where to download and how to use it. Then read the numerous other post on how to set up the plugin. That plugin is real easy to set up.

Again a quick search here on MPC revealed 51 posts on the topic. From there again you could "Google" Media Player Classic for more information on the software itself.

I have friends here, who never even heard of winamp.

With the utmost respect to your friends, do they even have the internet? If they do, do they have a favorite search engine? I'm not going to go any further with that one.

You two alone have over the 600 reply's on this forum alone so most of the terms for you are music in your ears....for me its most of the time Chinees

Trust me, look at some of my posts and the questions I ask. The responses aren't always music to my ears either, so I ask for help to simpify. Like I previously stated, we're all here to help each other. I think rembetis did an excellent job on your post here:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=#32241
on setting up a goto button. And once you understand how to open the skin editor, for directional buttons:
1) in a skin that has buttons that do function of what you want, open the skin editor.
2) Goto the screen that has the particular buttons.
3) Click on the button to select it.
4) In the editor window, click on the "Item/Event" tab.
5) Write down any and all events that are linked to that button.
6) Close the Skin editor window, press F2 to open the setup window.
7) Select Events tab.
8 ) Scroll down and find the event that matches the one you wrote down that links the button.
9) View the commands that are setup for that event, write them down as well.
10) Goto your own skin or screen, create an event that utilizes those commands, then goto the skin editor and link the button of your choice to the event you just created.

It's just not worth someone to create a video tutorial for the above as it is basically universal for all buttons you want to create and easily described above.

A big helper here now is the "Xlobby Event and Variable reference sheet" (http://www.xlobby.incolby.com/EventVari ... m#category) for a list of every command you can do in the events section of setup (and more).

As stated, I do like the idea of video tutorials, and are worth it, but they should be common enough for all to benefit. Creating specialized tutorials, though may help out a select few, would not be beneficial as a whole. Maybe even a poll on what people would like to see documented via video, so some courageous soul could do something that most people would have use for.
Marbles_00

Postby Atlas on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:53 am

I understand some of your frustration as I was a newbie at once too. I agree too that video tutorials can be useful. I also agree that this forum cannot be everything. I have written a plugin. I did NOT know c# and XML but I went to other places on the net to learn. Not here. Those are languages for computers. I don't want instructions to learn French to just read the French forums! :)

I hint for using the french tutorials.... http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Put in the html link select your language and hit translate. And I thought of that on my own! :wink: :lol: 8)
Atlas