Multi-zoning Skin *Retired and unsupported*

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Multi-zoning Skin *Retired and unsupported*

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:18 am

Below is some screen shots of a multizoning skin I'm designing. It is almost complete and I'm currently testing it with 4 zones (3 individual and on party). It is a very stripped down skin, with the only extra screen being weather information. It is also the first attempt at skinning for PPC screens. I'll submit a few screen shots here, but you can see more if you click on my 'www' button below.

I should add that it is primarily to run on a dedicated music server, so I've tried to keep the different screens to the basics and it is set for 800x600 resolution.

Feedback is welcome.

David

*EDIT* ggggrrrrr....the images came up in the preview, but failed to show once I submitted....oh well you can still see them here:
http://marbles-00.tripod.com/
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:28 am

I like the skin. :D

What does the Amp control section do, change the song or the volume??

Thanks,
Scott
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:00 am

Thanks for taking interest in the skin.

The amp control interfaces with Girder to control the parallel port. What I'm going to use it for is to control some motorized potentiometers for volume control. I'm in the middle of designing a six channel gainclone amplifier (google gainclone) seperated into three stereo pairs. I decided on using three dual ganged motorized pots and using 6 parallel port data lines to control the pots. One data line will enable the H-bridge driver chipset (L293D Quad H-bridge drivers), and the final data line will be a remote turn on to power up the amp when Xlobby starts up. I'll probably end up installing a second parallel port card to control a second two channel gainclone (I'm building it first for practice). So I may have to expand on the volume. Basically each pots can be individually controlled in 1 second bursts or you can turn all of them at once (control for the party zone). The only unfortunate thing about the motorized pots is that they don't have any feedback. But they only draw 150mA when stalled (and only pulsed at 1 second intervals), so I don't forsee a problem with stressing the circuit (the L293D is good for 600mA/channel).

Depending on use, one could modify it to work for RS232 or even USB if need be which could control multiple types of amplifier devices.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:56 pm

That sounds awesome and complicated :D

I thought maybe you figured out a way to control the volume on each zone thru XL without having to switch to each zone first.

Also if your up for sharing I would like to take a look at your skin. I am going to buy a 12 channel amp, as soon as funds become available, and setup a multizone system. I am trying to figure out how I want my music page to look and yours looks pretty good. I need something fairly basic so my wife and other guests won't have a problem using it.

Thanks,
Scott
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:12 pm

The circuits not too complicated, only a hex inverter (74LS04), the motor driver (L293D, two required for the 6 channel amp) and a 10k SIP (single inline package) resistor pulled up to 5volts, and the motorized pots of course (using ALPS...frigg'n hard to find though in small quantities). The amplifer itself is really simple, about 10 components/channel, and the power supply is not overly demanding for the gainclone amps.

If you're puchasing a 12 channel amp, and it doesn't have volume control, you still could get away with an external volume control by placing a bunch of motorized pots with a driver circuit like the one I'm designing. Not to difficult to do.

I know what you mean by keeping it simple, my wife really hates technology...but she has no choice but to conform. The main screen is not really meant for any other type of control other than mouse navigation (as it is supposed to run on a server that should not have to be touched....well that was the idea). I tried to make the PPC screens as simple as possible and clean, and tried to keep the buttons as large as possible so they could be pressed with a finger.

Yeah I can forward it to you through email. I think it is far enough along to do that. I've tested all the screens out. I'm currently running it with .Net 2 and the latest version of Xlobby to make sure it doesn't crash out. Though I don't have a PPC yet, I've tested those screens on another computer and they all work too. The only other thing that should be done is to write a batch file that not only starts the client software on the PPC, but also sends a packet to wake the server if you have it go into sleep mode at anytime. I was going to worry about that a little later, once I get a PPC.

Drop me an email at mayhem.prod "AT" gmail "DOT" com, and I will forward it to you.

David
Marbles_00

Postby Aaron on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:39 pm

Why build the GainClone?

You can get stuff off ebay pretty cheaply... like a Niles controller and 12 channel amp... then just use the inputs in the controller control the zones (on/off and volume up/down)

way less work, plus the added ability to use IR and wall plates... an resale value just in case.
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:52 pm

Why build? Well my reasons are given below:

1) I don't really want to take a chance at someone's used equipment. Though 80% of the time, stuff from ebay would be okay...knowing my luck...I'd fall within the other 20%. Not to mention, alot of companies won't honor warrantees if items are purchased through ebay. I've been told that plenty of times when I've asked for simple support for things I have bought through ebay.

2) I don't have a requirement for a 12 channel amp. Though it would be cool to own, there is no pratical reason for it, in my case.

3) Currently on ebay I see a Niles SI-1230 starting at $1,040.59 cdn (7d bid), a Knoll 12 channel kit for $694.49 cdn, and a another Knoll kit with a cooling fan (WOW) for $752.36cdn. Now I have to add in additional funds for shipping, so those prices will be even higher. A Gainclone for my purpose will run me around $300...it all depends on the size of the toroidal and the quality of the case to put it in.

4) Kinda goes along with the above reason, I don't have to spend all the money on the Gainclone all at the same time. I can do little purchases, build a circuit, test it out, buy some more stuff, try it out. This is more acceptable to the WAF and in my current economic position (another kid i the oven and soon to be going loosing the full second pay for maturnity reasons...but that's besides the point). What's really nice is that I can try a gainclone amp out...if it sounds like shit, then I can stop the project without having spent a boat load of money, or make changes to it to make it sound better. If one of the above amps sound like shit or doesn't fit my liking...then I have to offload the amp...hoping someone will buy it, and most likely take a lose...I don't feel like being in that position.

5) Performance wise, from everything I have researched and by looking at the NI datasheets on the LM3875, the Gainclone should be able to sonically compete with any of the above mentioned amps. For all we know, if you pop open the case of the above amps, they are most likely running some sort of chip amp as well (maybe not a reason for one over the other, but it would be very ironic).

6) If purchasing the controller (which I've seen a couple of Niles for sale currently for around $50 cdn, not bad, but you still have to buy additional controllers in some cases), then there is no reason to use Xlobby, really, which kinda defeats the whole Xlobby/Zoning thing to begin with.

7) I don't want to use wallplates to control. This means running lot's of cable around the house, which I don't want to get into. Not to mention, popping holes in the drywall to install the boxes. If I was in the midst of building a new home, then this would not be a problem. But since my home has already been built, using a PPC to control the system from anywhere in the house seems like a cheaper, more viable option for me. For what it would cost to actually install all that, you cannot guarantee to get that back if selling the house. It may not necessarily be a selling/buying feature for some people. This way, minus the bit of wiring for the speakers and the speakers themselves if ceiling or inwall, I can take everything with me, should I move.

8) Put aside economics, the even bigger picture, I don't mind doing the research and learning to build and getting my hands dirty, to me that is something that you can't put a price on and is one of the greatest joys and accomplishments of DIY'ing in the first place. It also gives me bragging rights, more soe than if I bought an off the shelf product. To some, that does not matter, to me that ranks high up there too.

Granted, it may not be for everyone and each to their own. I appreciate your view, but looking at my requirements, economics, installation and deployment of the system on whole, using the Xlobby/Gainclone option is the best one for me.
Marbles_00

Postby Aaron on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:36 am

WOW.. you must have a ton of spare time.. build your own amps & write replies that may qualify as novels :wink:

I use the Niles MRZ-6 & SI1230, bought them 2 years ago as returned items (slightly used). I have IR receivers in the ceiling speakers in every room (no wall plates). They work flawlessly.

I'm going to upgrade to a much more complex system using XLobby so if you decide you want to buy an audio volume controller / IR distrobution center (aka Niles MRZ-6), without the amp, let me know.
Aaron

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:15 am

Time....no, it's called "burning the midnight oil", after the family goes to bed. :lol: . That was a rather long winded post wasn't it. Most likely burned some bandwidth there.
Marbles_00