Playing eachothers music

Speak your mind

Playing eachothers music

Postby lar282 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:39 am

hmm wouldn't be cool if we could add a databse and fill it witch other peoples music? Man that would be the largest mp3 database in the world. If we only could play the mp3 not download them, then it wouldn't be illegal either.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:01 pm

you mean like someone would stream their music online, but you could control the stream...thus giving you access to all their music.
stevenhanna6

Postby lar282 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:22 pm

yeah kind of but it would be really hard to accomplish. An easy and cool thing would just be streaming the music track u have showing on the web page. then we could connet to that and have a random stream from everybody!

dream on right.........

//Lasse
lar282

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:20 pm

it could easily be done with that winamp streaming plugin, shotcast I think its called. Nothing even has to be changed...I would just need a check box in F2 so that you can tell people you are streaming then I can make a "listen to" link on the nowplaying page.
stevenhanna6

Postby lar282 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:00 am

stevenhanna6 wrote:it could easily be done with that winamp streaming plugin, shotcast I think its called. Nothing even has to be changed...I would just need a check box in F2 so that you can tell people you are streaming then I can make a "listen to" link on the nowplaying page.

Now that would be COOL

//Lasse
lar282

Postby BaddaBing on Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:14 am

I'd make sure that this isn't something that would have the RIAA getting its knickers in a wad. I'm sure that sites like Napster, MusicMatch and such all pay royalties (just like radio stations) to the artists in order to provide these services. If it's legal to do - cool - but check it out - with a knowledgeable legal resource first.
BaddaBing

Postby QTips on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:04 pm

Ask me instead :D
I give the thumb up for this

But seriously I don't think it will be a problem as long it is used to a limited closed private network with registered users.

Another idea would be a online ratingsystem database of movies and
music which also would be cool :)
QTips

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:15 am

yah I have to error on the side of caution here...I think BaddaBing is right it's not legal to stream music on the net for free unless it was for personal use. I like the idea, and its super easy to do, but I dont feel like getting sued for hosting a link to an illegal stream.
stevenhanna6

Postby sledbc on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:05 pm

It would be legal in Canada. From my understanding it is legal here to share music you own as long as there is no money exchanging hands, its also legal to make a copy of something you own, as well as share that copy with someone, and there is no stipulation as to how you are allowed to share said material, whether you physically hand them the cd, mail it to them, or share it over the internet.

Would it be illegal in the USA for you to play a song and let a friend listen to it over the phone?
sledbc

Postby AirPost on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:14 pm

From the RIAA website:

Are licenses required to webcast music?

Yes. A license usually must be obtained for each of the two copyrighted works embodied in a musical recording. The first is the underlying musical composition, comprised of the written notes and lyrics (for purposes of copyright law, the musical composition is referred to as a "musical work"). The second copyrighted work is the actual recording itself - the sounds, including the recording artist's interpretation of the musical composition, and the creative efforts of the producer, sound engineers and background musicians. (This is referred to in copyright law as a "sound recording.") The copyrighted recording brings to life the written notes and lyrics of the musical work.

One would need to get a license and pay royalties before a person or entity can broadcast the music publicly. DARN !!!
AirPost

Postby sledbc on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:48 pm

what would constitute public? what if it was a closed, register only stream for xlobby forum members?
sledbc