Multizone with shoutcast

Speak your mind

Multizone with shoutcast

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:46 pm

I don't want to start putting holes in my walls for running audio cable, nor do I want to purchase another audio amp for achieving multizone audio (the "boss" would kill me in either instance). I do have a couple of extra computers lying around. So what I was thinking of doing was setting up a shoutcast server, and stream the audio. For this I figured I'd have a central Xlobby HTPC running the Xlobby web server, and either the shoutcast server on that system, or have it connected to a main server. This would broadcast the shoutcast audio across the network, and I could have clients in different rooms of the house (where I have a wired link, or by wireless) that can control the main Xlobby computer via the web server.

I saw a post ( http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =shoutcast ) where Rhinoman touches on that subject, but has anyone actually tried it? If so, what was your experience like? Was the music in sync across all the different "zones"? What problems did you encounter?
Marbles_00

Postby hjackson on Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:42 pm

I tried Shoutcast. You will not get true synchronized play. If that isn't important to you, then you'll be OK.

hjackson
hjackson