audio playback status

Got an idea, post it here

audio playback status

Postby dalanik on Sun May 29, 2005 12:53 pm

Hi yall,

What I'm trying to implement now is audio play status. Simple text character, used with special wingdings font to show play, stop or pause symbol.

In order to do this, I'd either need to do it manually (set variable) everytime user presses play, pause or stop, and this is not a problem. but it is a problem to set this variable on cue/open/play. I have no means of checking weather user cued track or opened album from music screen.

Could it be possible to implement global variable in xlobby that would tell us if audio player is in play, pause or stop state? simple 1 character would do. then this char could be mapped through font to display play/stop/pause icon (character).

Since we all have different fonts (I have my own visual font, and i'm sure at least colby has his own font), i'd suggest using special characters instead of letters, so we minimize skin change. i.e. play would be > stop would be . and pause , or similar.

If anyone has other means of solving this, any suggestions welcome :-)

Thanx,
Dalibor
dalanik

Postby tswhite70 on Tue May 31, 2005 9:03 pm

Winamp has a WM_USER message that provides playing status. Message # 104 Returns the status of playback. If 'ret' is 1, Winamp is playing. If 'ret' is 3, Winamp is paused. Otherwise, playback is stopped.

See the following in the Winamp forums:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=180297

You should be able to use sendmessage to send the message to Winamp - how to get the returned status into a variable I don't know...

From your message it sounds like you would need to keep polling Winamp on some set interval to get the current status. I guess you could have an Xlobby event that runs every 30 seconds or so, sends the message and updates the global variable with current status (or maybe use Girder). Let us know if you figure something out!

tsw
tswhite70

Postby erikt on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:20 pm

Have you considered Girder with the DVDSpy plugin?
erikt
erikt

Postby dalanik on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:44 pm

erikt wrote:Have you considered Girder with the DVDSpy plugin?
erikt

I'll give it a try but i have the feeling that the best way would be if steven could provide this logic inside xlobby, since xlobby already knows what winamp is doing :-)
dalanik