Some remote control advice

Speak your mind

Some remote control advice

Postby cygnusaa on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:59 am

Hi all,

Need some advice.

Considering Harmony 550 to control my setup. (originally wanted 890 but i dont see the need for it and it is expensive-if anyone knows the benefits of 890>550 let me know)

I have a Zalman HD-160 Case and I am running WinXP Pro, XLobby, Foobar, Theatertek.

I already know the 550 will control my receiver, sat/cable and other devices but my question is this....

a) The Zalman came with MCE remote and IRTrans software.

b) I have been able to get basic up/down/left/right functions to work but since this remote wont learn, it is limited to controlling just the HTPC (and even that is limited and cumbersome due to not running MCE).

so

Will I be able to control the HTPC with the Harmony 550?

If I get one, does it make the IR receiver in the VFD of the Zalman case irrelevant?

If not, can I use other software like Girder to accept commands from the Harmony 550? Or will the Harmony 550 receiver and software handle any and all functions?

My head is spinning from all the things to look for and while normally this makes this hobby fun, I would also like to start enjoying my setup.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

dgemily was helpful in pointing me in the right direction with the included MCE remote via xremote plugin but I need to move beyond that.
cygnusaa

Re: Some remote control advice

Postby dgemily on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:54 pm

cygnusaa wrote:can I use other software like Girder to accept commands from the Harmony 550? Or will the Harmony 550 receiver and software handle any and all functions?

that depends which receiver you will use... does the harmony 550 came with an receiver ?
if you use a receiver working with girder, so your harmony will also work with xremote
(look girder plugins)

later
dgemily

Postby defrag on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:07 pm

As a owner of a Harmony 885 and a MCE remote hopefully I can give you some help! Not sure how the 550 learns it's commands, as the 885 has an online database of equipment and can learn individual commands as well as macros (like make the tv be on the right channel, switch the amp onto the right input etc all from one button).

There are 2 main stages to get this working. First you must get your MCE remote doing everything you want with XLobby. It is best to use a 3rd party driver for the receiver (http://www.byremote.com.au/Hip/mce_remote_faq.htm) which opens up it's use to other applications apart from MS ones. Then using Girder and the XRemote plugin for Girder you can get every button on the remote doing what you want.

Second step is then to get your 550 to learn the MCE remote, once that's done your away!!!

Hope that made some sense!!!
defrag

Postby bfauska on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:19 am

I just purchased a 550 and love it. I haven't recieved my Uirt yet but I am confident that I will be controling Xlobby to my hearts content soon. The 550 doesn't come with a reciever, so you would have to use the one in your case or a UIRT. If you can make the software work with your reciever you can make it work with the 550. I agree that the 880 and 890 are too spendy. I also like the button layout on the 550 better. The color screen looks cool but even the blue backlight on the 550 is too distracting sometimes, I think that the wow factor of the color screen would fade much sooner than the sting from the extra $100 it cost to get it.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new remote.

Later,
Brian
bfauska