Plugin compatibility question

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Plugin compatibility question

Postby cooldog on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:05 am

What's the story with plugin compatibility for Version 3?

I really depend on XAntMovie ... any chance it will work, or am I going to have to create something to translate a V2 movie database into a V3 database?
cooldog

Re: Plugin compatibility question

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:02 pm

I've tried my best to keep the old v2 plugins working, my weather plugin works in v2 and v3......you'll have to try it and get back to me to see if its something I can fix if it is broken in v3.
stevenhanna6

Postby cooldog on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:19 am

Steve,

It doesn't seem to work. There's no evidence that it's running at all. Copying my XL2 movies.xml into the databases directory *does* seem to work nicely, but it doesn't get rewritten by the plugin on the next startup, as it does in XL2.

Are you up for any other feedback on this release yet?

Paul
cooldog

Postby lar282 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:26 am

I use XAntMovie also. I will try tonite with V3 and get back here with my result.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby badubo on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:22 am

Xant creates the database during the constructor, it is not really dependent of xlobby interfaces, so I don't know why it will not work.
The only reason can be that xlobby 3 now reads the database before calling the pluggin's constructor or that the files are protected.
badubo

Postby cooldog on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:29 pm

badubo wrote:Xant creates the database during the constructor, it is not really dependent of xlobby interfaces, so I don't know why it will not work.
The only reason can be that xlobby 3 now reads the database before calling the pluggin's constructor or that the files are protected.

I ran another test, telling the plugin to write to the database "movies1", instead of "movies", and it created the new file on XLobby startup.

When I ran it again, the file remained unchanged, even though XLobby was not configured to use this database file. Directory permissions show "Full Control".

In another test, I set Xant back to writing "movies.xml", deleted that database file, and started XLobby ... that worked perfectly; Xant rewrote the database, and XLobby used it.

My bet is that XLobby V3 is holding a lock on ALL files that it finds in that directory, starting from *before* the plugins are initialized.
cooldog