Soundcards

Speak your mind

Soundcards

Postby theendisnye on Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:31 am

Is there a soundcard with digital out that I can connect to me Home Cinema to experience DTS and THX? Steve
theendisnye

Postby Roscoe62 on Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:21 pm

Hi Steve,

There are many cards that have a digital out on them. The choice comes down to some other things.

1) Do you need an optical out or coax out?
2) Are you also going to be using your PC for gaming?
3) Budgetary constraints

There are some cards that have optical out, but the majority of cards that support digital out have coax.

If you're into gaming as well as Home Theater then the SB Audigy cards are quite good.

If you're more into pure Home Theater but still on a budget the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is a good card.

And there are a thousand other options!

If you want to research it further, do a search over at AVSForum in the Home Theater Computers area. It's a veritable goldmine of information over there.

Here's the url...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Good luck!

Roscoe
Roscoe62

Postby jmv on Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:33 pm

Almost any card (including the on-board audio-I currently use on-board and have left my Revo in the storage closet) perform perfectly well for digital out. You need to ensure that your receiver / processor can handle the stream and that your SW will indeed export it. Most of the current HT receivers and DVD SW will do this some of the older ones of each didn't support anything besides vanilla DD 5.1.
jmv