control overlay apps with remote

Help each other out

control overlay apps with remote

Postby nrj0122 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:50 am

Using the firefly remote and newest release of xlobby-I can control most things in xlobby which is great, without having to do any maping or use of xremote plugin, girder, etc. I take it from other posts, sounds like this remote has built in support with the new xlobby.

My problem is when I assign a button to open my tv app. (wintv2000), It opens, but then I have no control over that overlay application/program ( I cant change channels for example). How can I fix this?

Do I need to disable x10 remote as stated in other post and manually assign buttons with girder and xremote?

(I take it I would have to get girder and xremote plugin-not included in current version-correct?)
nrj0122

Re: control overlay apps with remote

Postby nrj0122 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:05 pm

See post above for problem:

Just so I know before I spend a few hours setting up xremote and girder, will that take care of my problem of controling applications (wintv app.) that open up within xlobby (I assigned a new button that when "clicked" opens up my wintv 2000 app.)?

Again, I'm using the newest version of xlobby with no gider and no xremote plugin installed. I can control just about everything in xlobby with the firefly(RF) remote, which is awesome! Just this application that I assigned a button to and when you "click" on it, sends a command to open up wintv 2000, but then I can't control it with my remote, have to use mouse.

thanks for any help!
nrj0122

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:21 am

I just want to make sure, are you opening the win2k app within an overlay using the xmovewindow plugin, or are you sending an os:execute event to open the application? If using the os:execute, then chances are win2k is taking focus from xlobby, hence xlobby events will have no control, if it doesn't haven't have focus.
Marbles_00

Postby hvs69 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:01 am

Use xremote+girder :D You will thank me for that later.

It will control almost every external application in addition to xlobby. You will be able to put conditional statements in your girder and execute commands (with remote) based on which applications you are running in foreground. Xremote also allows you to customize the remote button behavior for each Xlobby Screen.
hvs69

Postby nrj0122 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Yes, I'm using the os: execute command to launch wintv 2000, what should I do instead? A step by step process would be great.

Or, as other reply said set up girder and xremote-which would be work for me-as I'm not good at doing this.
nrj0122

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:03 pm

Both plugins have excellent documentation. First get the plugins by using this document and downloading them directly.

XRemote documentation can be found here

If you go the route of XRemote/Girder, a free version of Girder can still be found on the net (Version 3.29 I believe). Somewhere in the forums is a link to it, I just haven't looked for the thread.

XMoveWindow documentation can be found here

Have fun.
Marbles_00