The perfect remote solution

Speak your mind

The perfect remote solution

Postby lar282 on Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:09 pm

Trying to figure out what to buy and maybe u guys have any tips. What I want is this

* PC should recieve RF signals and be able to SEND IR signals to my stereo
* Remote/pocketpc/pronto or whatever should be able to send IR and RF that the pc should pick up. Also skinnable lcd display so I can have xlobby skin on it. AND I want wireless 802.11 so I can run xlobby client on it.

Is above possible. I want ONE remote for everything. Any ideas??
What are u guys using?????

//Lasse
lar282

Postby MFan on Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:53 pm

Lasse,

I don't know of any device that can receive the type of rf signals you want to send into a pc. However, there are a number of remotes on the market that will send rf to a base unit, which, in turn, will send out ir signals. Those ir signals could be directed to a usbuirt connected to your htpc. Xlobby has the capabilty to receive from a usbuirt.

Some pocket pc's can send consumer ir (Dell Axim being one) and also send out via 802.11b. The catch is that when you have the ppc setup as a client to xlobby, it is not able to send out local ir signals. But you could command xlobby to send out an ir signal via the usbuirt from your pocket pc. I have found that there is not a significant lag from pushing the button on the ppc to transmitting the ir signal.

Sorry I can not give you a simple solution to meet your requirements, but I think that with a small amount of work you can get xlobby to do all that you want. However, I think you should consider whether you really want to use a ppc for your system remote. Along with myself, others have commented on this forum that they do not care for the use of touchscreen as the interface on their system remote.

Don
MFan

Postby lar282 on Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:57 am

Thank for the reply.

I just ordered a usb RF reciever for my x10 remote and will get a uirt tranmitter. I'll go with that for now and change my skin for remote only support.

//Lasse
lar282