XM Radio Support?

Got an idea, post it here

XM Radio Support?

Postby Bill Lott on Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:06 pm

Anyone up to a XM radio plugin or other type support?

It's way over my head but I would ove to see theis functionality in xLobby. I have grabbed some comments from Shane on the Homeseer board for review.

Here's an abridged repost:

I get an extract for the current channel's music, and then one for ALL the channels. I haven't figured out how to properly parse in the multiple channels one so I can browse what's playing (it's a TON of data) but I got the current channel one working like a champ.

To get XaMpD to create the two data files, create a new DWORD in the registry at HKEY_USERS\Software\mOmo productions\XaMpD with a name of "Homeseer" (don't use quotes) Set the value to 1.

Then when you login to XaMpD, you'll notice the files singleData.txt and allData.txt appear in the XaMpD directory. They refresh automatically every 30 seconds with the XM stream update, plus the singleData updates whenever you change channels.

singleData.txt will output:

[Frank's Place (73)]
Track: Three Little Fishies
Artist: Maria Muldaur
Album: Swingin' in the Rain

and allData.txt outputs:

[29]
Track: Empty Souls
Artist: Manic Street Preachers
Album:
[92]
Track: Y Te Vi Con El
Artist: Conjunto Atardecer
Album: Cd Single
[102]
Track: Wenyukela
Artist: Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Album: Raise Your Spirit Higher

XaMpD outputs the allData in the order it was received from XM - which is completely random, apparently. I'm going to have to import it into a database and then query it, I guess.

I use VBScript to parse the singleData and then import it directly into HomeSeer every 25 seconds. I've attached my scripting to import the singleData text into devices in HS - I tried to make it user friendly. (That's how I'm getting the cover art, btw... just some re-arranging of the extracted data to get a filename. The downside is I don't have every image on every channel - I need to find a good image database to query.)

I did discover that you can use the Amazon.com SDK to query the cover art, which is the way I think I'm going to go - I just need to figure out how to structure the query into their database.

The executable xampd.exe will accept the following as command line parameters:
login
logout
mute
play
pause
stop
channel XX (where XX = channel)

m0mo (the dev) and I are both working on a channel up/down method - I think we're essentially thinking the same thing, to have a structured array (so it knows that channel up from 16 is 20, not 17) but my method would be external vs. his internal one... so I might just sit back and wait for him to build that functionality instead.

I also attached the screen cap using MainLobby to make a pretty front end.

It's working out pretty good for me so far. In the startup script for HS, I launch the xampd executable (and kill it in shutdown) so it's always running with HS. I have it save my user/pass combo, and NOT log in automatically. I then use "power" on my mainlobby screen to toggle the login state.
Bill Lott