Newbie Questions

Help each other out

Newbie Questions

Postby jls9444 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:03 pm

This is my first post in this forum and I have many questions. I did some research prior to writing this post so as not to repeat other's questions. I am currently running Homeseer and will have my Ocelot up and running in a few days. As you might expect, some of my questions relate to Homeseer integration. First, a couple basic questions:

1. Can I control xlobby on my TV through the RS-232 connection or would I have to go through an IR solution via my Ocelot?
2. Do I need any other software/hardware to get xlobby up and running?

Now some Homeseer integration questions:

1. Can I use xlobby for my Homeseer GUI when I access it remotely?
2. Does xlobby integrate well with Homeseer?
3. Can I control lighting, garage door, etc. and view my cameras through my television
jls9444

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:57 pm

jls9444 wrote:2. Do I need any other software/hardware to get xlobby up and running?

Assuming u didnt manage to snatch commercial xlobby during short time it was on sale for DIYers, u r gonna need audio player (preferably winamp/foobar) as bare minium to go with freelobby. EDIT: ofcourse if u dont intend to play audio u wont need even it.

Now some Homeseer integration questions:

3. Can I control lighting, garage door, etc. and view my cameras through my television

I cant answer to these myself, but check out plugin called Xseer.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jls9444 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:35 pm

How much does xlobby cost? I have seen there are free versions out there but am sure these are older versions? Are people still using these free versions?
jls9444

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:45 pm

jls9444 wrote:How much does xlobby cost? I have seen there are free versions out there but am sure these are older versions? Are people still using these free versions?

Unless there has been change lately, u cannot buy it anymore directly. Free versions are just fine imho.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby fletch on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:16 pm

jls9444 wrote:...Now some Homeseer integration questions:

I'll see if I can shed some light on the Homeseer questions using the xSeer plugin;
1. xLobby can be used as a GUI for Homeseer. You'll need to create specific screens in whatever skin your using for your own use, but I think it works quite nicely to show you the status of your homeseer environment.
2. Does it integrate well? I think so, but I'm biased.:)
3. Using the xSeer plugin, you can display the status of objects in homeseer, control those objects and run homeseer scripts. As for the camera views if you're using a web cam interface, I see no reason they couldn't be displayed using xLobby's ability to include a page page on a screen.

By the way, there is also another plugin that can be used to interface with homeseer called XAP3. It uses xAP messaging to communicate with HS.
fletch