Baddabing??????

Speak your mind

Baddabing??????

Postby defrag on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:19 am

Baddabing, why is your folder suddenly empty on the xlobby ftp site??? Are you leaving us???

That would be a great great shame.

I do have a backup of all your stuff - PM me or reply to this post to let me know if it should stay private.
defrag

Re: Baddabing??????

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 am

ARE YOU SHITTING ME OR WHAT?????

You know, I used to have the utmost respect for the guy for everything he contributed...

"Marbles Asks"
Does this mean that you MAY potentially be pulling all your skins off the "table" then, if xlobby is priced too high? Just wondering.

"Buddabing's response"
No, I consider them as donated to the community. As long as no one tries to sell them I don't have a problem.

but after making comments like that above, if he has indeed decided to split, this would make him a complete ____ (you fill in the blank with your own three/four/five/... letter word). I hope he has decided to setup his own web server, where he will host his own skins. Anything short of that...._______ (again, fill in the blank)! Boy Steven, hope your happy getting your "corporate check-in-the-mail".

But hey, after my anger subsides, ultimately we all know, this is most likely the way it's going to go. Without buddabing's skins to learn from and have as a great alternative to the sorted mess of the default skin...what's xlobby to be?
Marbles_00

Postby defrag on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:43 am

It's a fair point that baddabing makes though.... as we have no idea what is being sold to people, do they include the "free" plugins and skins in that price??? I would be severly upset if my hard work was being sold under the xlobby name without my permission in any shape or form, including being rolled up in a maintenance charge for installation. They are free and should be seen as free always and the purchasers should be made aware of this. I would compare it to the number of MediaPortal copies being sold on Ebay for a small fee, but this is nothing like that - this a proper profit making venture - as Wes has pointed out. If this is not the case, and I hope it isn't, then I take it all back. Maybe Baddabing learned something we have not been told.

Well, if we don't hear from Baddabing, under the current climate, we will naturally assume the worse. But fear not - I will still be developing to the last...

Sigh.....
defrag

Postby jowaldo on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:36 am

C'mon I wouldn't jump to any conclusions quite yet... I'm sure he'll jump in on this to clear it up.

I'm lookin right now and it says he logged in today... So I doubt he's gone..
jowaldo

Postby hjackson on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:27 am

"...but after making comments like that above, if he has indeed decided to split, this would make him a complete ____ (you fill in the blank with your own three/four/five/... letter word)."

Marbles, you need to chill out and count to 10 before posting. Baddabing hasn't even responded yet and you are throwing out those type of comments as to what type of person he MAY be? Wow.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 am

Marbles, you need to chill out and count to 10 before posting.

Yeah....your right.
Marbles_00

Postby dalanik on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:13 pm

I think somebody here is trying to sell us a conspiracy theory.... People from the forum slowly missing one by one...???? C'mon! :-)
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:10 pm

hmm i thought he spoken bit too fondly about that linux FE. :(
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:44 am

Huh, then nobody noticed my MediaPortal posts.... :-)
dalanik

Postby defrag on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:53 am

MediaPortal is looking sweet with that new xface skin by harley
defrag

Postby dalanik on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 am

Yes, that's my preferred s/w, excluding XLobby.... the only thing it lacks is good editor...
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:57 pm

dalanik wrote:Huh, then nobody noticed my MediaPortal posts.... :-)

D, we all know we r not gonna loose u :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:10 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
dalanik wrote:Huh, then nobody noticed my MediaPortal posts.... :-)

D, we all know we r not gonna loose u :D

no, same as serbs won't loose kosovo... :-(
dalanik

Postby Tracie on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:11 am

Well, I'm not completely familiar with all of the details, but I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago. Here's my take on it:

I was a big part of an online community that had in excess of 3000 members, I was one of the main moderators & one of the bigger posters. It was a very active site that wasn't commercial at all. It was truly a community in that many of the active members knew each other & had regular get-togethers. The site was an outlet & at the same time a resource for all of us, much the way that this forum has become for many of you. Well, the main man decided to sell this site to a retailer. I never had any beef with this part of it, if he could make a profit & do better by himself & his family for it, that's awesome IMO. What I did have a huge problem with was that some of the content that was posted (including pictures) was used by this retailer to sell their products. They never asked anyone in the community if it was okay, never told anyone that they were going to do that. And it was legit under the Terms of Use. But it was a bullsh!t move IMO, & I was seriously pissed off. All of us posted that content for the good of the community, not to be used to sell a product. That community is now all but dead, mainly because myself & a few others were so bent by this treatment of the community (as well as other things that transpired) that we started our own competing community to keep it alive. This was in the spring of 2005, & we now have 4k+ members that have made almost 200k posts.

So to my mind, if Baddabing is pulling it all in & keeping it close to the vest, taking a "wait & see" approach, I don't blame him one bit. He's put an incredible amount of work into this project & frankly it would be wrong if they took his work & sold this product along with it. I'm not saying that's what is happening, I certainly have other ideas of what could be going on. But if it is, I don't blame him at all & I think that I'd probably do the same.

So here's my warning to Steven & the crew. Be very careful of your treatment of the members here, particularly the ones that have helped you get to this point. I know from personal experience how this can go, & you can very easily/quickly kill this project if you don't think carefully about the situation & address it appropriately.
Tracie

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:32 am

She is hot :P
P3rv3rt B3ar

Next