What format for storing TV Episodes and what software to con

Speak your mind

What format for storing TV Episodes and what software to con

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:13 pm

What format are people using for TV Episodes and, since I'm sure most don't leave it in DVD format, what software are you using to convert? I'm just beginning to get into storing my TV shows. I've converted some to AVI, but I get a slight stutter on some scenes, played locally or from a network drive, uniformly across different players, so I'm looking for advice

Thanks in advance!!
cmhardwick

Re: What format for storing TV Episodes and what software to con

Postby jowaldo on Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:56 pm

I don't know if its the best, but the times I've done it, I use AutoGK (Auto Gordian Knot) And it always seems to work good for me.

http://www.autogk.me.uk/
jowaldo

Postby dalanik on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:39 pm

I store everything in AVI, preferably XVID, if not then DIVX, sound mp3. And also use Gordian Knot (but full version, not Auto). No stuttering at all, either local or through NAS.

D.
dalanik

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:48 pm

Do you get sound on the "pre-release" internal player? I get no sound on these files (avi - XVid, AC3), but ONLY on the internal player. Everyother player (Windows, Real play, Theatertek, work perfectly, just the slight stutter

Also, what bit rate do you use to convert (DVD-FAB platinum let's me set it)
cmhardwick

Postby dalanik on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:16 pm

I don't use pre-release, I use last free version... and all is normal in MPC and Zoom5...
dalanik

Postby cmhardwick on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:36 pm

same here, I can play them in ANY OTHER PLAYER, but no sound, even though FFDShow audio kicks in and shows it decoding, on the internal player.

Oh well ... probably won't be able to afford the "new xlobby" whenever it finally comes out anyway ... but that's another ONGOING saga :D
cmhardwick

Postby CiXel on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 am

For taking my DVD episodes to HDD I've been storing each episode as a single VOB file. That way I can retain alternate audio streams as well as subtitles. I use DvdShrink to do this, and just check the option NOT to split at 1gb.

If I need to do HD or want to go Mpeg4 with the recordings I use AutoMKVhttp://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=113811 I used to use AutoGK, but I find I get much better results now.

[Edit]
Since I've seen mediaportal touched upon of late, there is a great MyTvSeries plugin that will aggregate all the episodes in a directory and go fetch the individual TV synopsizes along with banner art. When you go to watch them, if you haven't watched the episode before, it will keep the episode info hidden to prevent spoilers, and then open them up next time. It's very slick and I mention it only to express my interest in something like potentially making its way to what I use all the time ;) Making it easy to catalog all of these shows would be a lifesaver. (Truth be told, I use the plugin to retrieve the data for me, and then copy it into a custom DB over here... shhhhh)
CiXel