Managing a LARGE music collection

V3 help and support questions

Managing a LARGE music collection

Postby Bill Lott on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:11 pm

What is the best way to manage a large music selection? The collection is spread over several genres and exceeds 10,000 albums. How does the music library function work (Library 1, 2 3)? Should I split up the different genres to seperate databases?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill Lott

Re: Managing a LARGE music collection

Postby PhilB on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:30 pm

I dont think there is a best way, but rather only the way that suits your needs best. I would first get a solid backup of the 10K albums before I started work!

In my case, I struggled with this issue for some time before settling on the solution that works for my listening habits. Here is what I did:

Databases:
1 - All Artists: This ignores albums and just lumps each artist into 1 "vitual abum" so that I can play their entire body of work at once. I also choose 1 cover that I thought was best. These are only the artists that I (or the wife) perfer most ofen

2 - Classical:

3 - Compilations: Albums like "Billboard Top 100" and the like

4 - Soundtracks:

5 - Perfect Albums: There are some albums that I prefer to listen to as they were made. Personal choice on this.

6 - Everything else: Artists I have but am not familar with. Someday,. I might listen to them.

I use the XL Playlist to select individual tracks and have build a few playlists that are now quite large that play my favorites. I prefer this method over genres as I build playlists like "favorite rock" as opposed to the genre "rock".
PhilB

Postby Bill Lott on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks Phil. Sounds like the direction I will be heading.

I am curious however, how does the Music Library 1,2 3 thing work...
Bill Lott

Postby PhilB on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:45 pm

I thinkit depends on how your tag your mp3 files. In my case, I tagged the tracks for each artist "Various Albums" and the then the 123 thing just lists

Artist/Various Albums/Track Name.

You can see this briefly on the video I posted up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBaRogRBQ8
PhilB

Postby samsonlov on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 am

PhilB wrote:You can see this briefly on the video I posted up on YouTube.

Hey PhilB,

That looks really great - I watched it twice.

You so-called "DIYers" sure do some amazing work! -
I think you guys should license your skins to installers so they can sell them to their clients.
In my experience end-users value the work and are willing to (and do) pay significant $ for a customized skin.

Just 2 Questions:
1. What program did you use to record your video?
2. Can it record the mediaplayer full/screen and mediaplayer screen with a movie playing?
(to show everything actually working in XL in "real-time")

Marbles asked about this in a post - can't remember which one, but there was no answer when I read his post.

(If I don't find something soon, I'll be following Marbles' suggestion and breaking-out the "video camera" - except mine is a small Canon Elph.)
:lol:

Thanks,
Samson
samsonlov

Postby PhilB on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Sorry, I must have missed the post question. Send a PM next time.

I used Camtasia studio and just did'nt record audio. It captures everything on the screen (or selected region) so it should work for you.

Glad you liked the work.
PhilB

Postby samsonlov on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:19 am

PhilB wrote:I used Camtasia studio and just did'nt record audio.

Thanks PhilB,

Camtasia Studio looks like a really cool piece of software, but for now I'll be using the free "Debut" - I downloaded it here: http://download.cnet.com/Debut-Video-Recording-Software/3000-13633_4-10684791.html.

Not fancy, I know, but it records XLobby really well, and with audio too. So until I decide to start recording tons of vids, i just can't justify spending an "extra" $300.00.

I didn't PM cause I thought others here would want to know what you used, but thanks also for offering.

Samson
samsonlov