Newby with some setup questions

Help each other out

Newby with some setup questions

Postby TalkingBull on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:57 am

I just found this software and am trying it out on my HTPC. I have all of my DVDs backed up as .AVI files and I did the initial setup so that my Movies directory encompassed these. They show up and I can play them but the online database isn't pulling any data for them. They are named simply enough... Kind Kong is named King Kong.avi and so on. I made an XML Db through Movie Collectorz (Collectorz.com) but that didn't seem to have an effect. I think I must be missing something obvious. Please let me know if I am doign something wrong or how I can get this up and running!

Thanks!!
TalkingBull

Re: Newby with some setup questions

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:54 am

What may be happening is that the xml that is created by Collectorz may use different parameter setting than what is called up via category fields. Example: to see the list of actors, the typical text field is "category>movies>actors" Maybe Collectoz doesn't use <actors></actors> in its xml, or maybe it uses <actor></actor>. This would leave that particular field blank. So you may have to open your xml database, see how the parameters are setup, then use those in your fields.

Most of us use DVD Profiler or ANT/Xant combo to build and maintain our movie databases. Just because DVD Profiler is a defacto standard, and ANT is free and easy to use. But hey, whatever gets you up in the morning...use it.

Hope this was helpful.
Marbles_00