Baddabing's project - fyi:modem burner images

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Re: Baddabing - new skin project

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Still working on it to iron out any problems. Updated pics - refresh your browser to see the newest images
BaddaBing

Postby bmblank on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:55 pm

I want it!!
Using KISS right now with a couple simple modifications and I like it alot. This will be another good one. I can't wait to test it out.
bmblank

Postby gamejester on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:01 am

This looks great, ideal for the Cinema room I am now building.
Sorry to say guys that I have dipped away from xlobby for the past year, I moved over to MediaPortal (the MyTVSeries plugin is amazing).
However I am now planning to do some XAP X10 touch screen stuff and install a projector and touch screen, so again xlobby fits the bill best.

Where can I get a copy of the last free version of xlobby? (not that I will not pay for the new one when ready, but I know how the old version works having skined it for years).

Not the correct place to ask, but is this new version based on the old one, or is it like the version 3 direct x .net 3 version Steven was playing with?
gamejester

Postby SMH on Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:42 pm

Buddabing,

I am using your Home Theater Touchscreen skin and have really enjoyed it. I have a major problem with it however and I hope you can help. I am using xlobby in conjunction with a Sony DVP-CX777ES and an RS-232 plugin as xlobby controls the DVD changer. All of this works quite well; however, in the events group (skin, movie, play) that is tied to the "play movie" button in the skin, this function works to bring up the movie by directing to the movie that is tied to a bat file that loads the slot of the dvd player. The problem is that when this occurs, it somehow affects the DVD player so that the "menu" and "top menu" functions no longer work properly. The movies start fine, but if you want to go back to the menu screen, it will not work. There were other functions that did not work as well (navigational buttons for example), but I purchased a USB-UIRT and was able to work around that. I am uncertain how I would work around the "play movie" event in the skin so that it does not negatively affect my DVD player. If you have some suggestions as to other ways to work the "play movie" function that may not have this affect on my DVD player, it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone else has come across this problem, please weigh in on possible solutions. The xlobby combination has worked well as an alternative to dvdlobbyfor controlling the Sony 400 disc player, with this one last exception. Once I get this worked out, I am home free, but this problem has been a lasting problem for some time.
Thanks for your time and consideration on this issue.
SMH

Postby gamejester on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 pm

Any update on this skin?
Can we have a preview / test download and help you iron out any remaining bugs that are stopping you post it?
gamejester

Postby BaddaBing on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:21 am

The skin is working perfectly. Just waiting till Sept to see what XL pricing will be. :twisted:
BaddaBing

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:08 am

Curious....why would that stop you?
Marbles_00

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:04 am

CQC is $695.00 and Main Lobby with all the necessary modules is $849.00 How much will XL be? CALRAD and company aren't saying till September. I will admit that I've had a bit of fun with XL. I have also donated time, skins, documentation and money. Now that XL has gone commercial I'm just waiting to see if it is something I can afford. No one can expect someone to donate to a commercial software package that is sold by a for-profit company if they don't use the product.
BaddaBing

Postby defrag on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:35 am

Well said Baddabing. This is also making me slow down on a few XL projects. Big questions is, as the free version does mostly what we want and many of us know it really really well, how is Calrad going to deal with ppl just using the free version and maybe even running their own support? Hey-ho, we watch and wait and hope things are going to be fine :D
defrag

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:17 am

What r u guys talking about?

* too busy oiling the "D"-button and tuning up the fireplace for upcoming "cease and desist"-letters, to read the forum *
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:56 am

I will admit that I've had a bit of fun with XL. I have also donated time, skins, documentation and money. Now that XL has gone commercial I'm just waiting to see if it is something I can afford.

Hey I couldn't agree with you more here. I am in the same boat completely. Many of us may not even upgrade to the new xlobby either because of price or lack of "new" features to drag us over. Hey, before, just to try/test it out, I could run xlobby on virtually any computer. Now with the move to .Net3, not only would I have to purchase the new xlobby, but also a complete new computer system. An expensive acqusistion to find out that xlobby3 does nothing advantageous over the xlobby we've grown to love and in the end, not even use. As well, I'm trying to save up for a good, powerful HTPC. After all the purchasing, it would be a complete waste of money for xlobby, again if it doesn't offer something substantial over the existing "free" version. It's just too bad for us who may not upgrade be denied a great looking skin with loads of potential from one of the pioneering skin designers :( . It's also ironic since you mentioned that you "would be happy to give back a little for all you (Steven) has done for us". I guess you were referencing your existing skins? Or...(see my comment below the next quote) Hmm...ironic as well, is that one could see this writing on the wall when the initial announcement was made. I made reference to something of this nature in a post and almost got flamed for it.

Don't get me wrong Buddabing, by no means are any of my comments directed to offend you. You are one that has shown exceptional respect for all on this forum, and I have the utmost respect for any decision you make.

No one can expect someone to donate to a commercial software package that is sold by a for-profit company if they don't use the product.

Does this mean that you MAY potentially be pulling all your skins off the "table" then, if xlobby is priced too high? Just wondering.

* too busy oiling the "D"-button and tuning up the fireplace for upcoming "cease and desist"-letters, to read the forum *

A little bit of a harsh way of putting it, but P3rv hit it on the head.

Peace out.
Marbles_00

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Does this mean that you MAY potentially be pulling all your skins off the "table" then, if xlobby is priced too high? Just wondering.

No, I consider them as donated to the community. As long as no one tries to sell them I don't have a problem.
BaddaBing

Postby samgreco on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:25 pm

I agree with you too Baddabing. I have been waiting to see what will happen before making a move. I don't want to put a ton of time into xLobby setting up my multizone audio setup (Xantech switcher, 8 sources - 10 zones) and UPB lighting, and whatever, since none of that is directly supported currently, only to then find everything different in the new xLobby. Plus every effort to get a sense of how it will be has not gotten me anywhere. So...

I am looking at CQC as a possibility. I have been very impressed with Dean's support of the product and the fact that it's one price. The user community there reminds me alot of how it was here in the early days. They're almost rabbid :)

I have eliminated MainLobby, because I found it way to cumbersome to work in. Plus I HATE the idea of having to pay for plugins every time something new comes down the pipe.

So in the mean time, I have been using Premise. It hasn't been updated in like 3 years and Motorola dropped support for it. But they released it to the wild for free (just the program, not the code :( ). It is strictly a stop gap measure for me now since it's a dead end and there is unlikely to be any support for new stuff. But it was fast and easy to setup. Had all of the logic to deal with multizone audio using external switchers. And lighting, security, etc.

So will I buy the new xLobby? I don't have a clue. I was this ][ close to buying CQC when the xLobby announcement came through. If the new xLobby ends up being the same price, will I but it instead? xLobby will for all intents and purposes, be a new app. Will it be stable in it's new incarnation? We'll see if not going through with the CQC purchase was a good move or not. Maybe I've wasted all of this time...
samgreco

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:19 pm

I too have eliminated Main Lobby because of the "death by a thousand cuts" pricing model. That and the rather slow performance that has been reported. I agree with you on the CQC, both the product and the forum are strong. In fact I wish I had purchased it a year ago when it was about $300.00 cheaper. I'm also looking at Got All Media http://www.gallm.com. Its another free app that looks and functions a lot like XL but with the addition of built in support for TV. Unfortunately the forum appears to be in zombie mode, not a lot of ativity or new releases.
BaddaBing

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:52 pm

Yeah, Got All Media is pretty cool. There are a few limitations...skin editing being one of them. But it pretty much does what ever you want concerning HTPC use right off the bat. One big reason the forums are quite is as alot have indicated, it works so well, once their systems are running, there's no more messing with it.

I've been considering using it for any TV running in 4:3 ratio, and if Tony can straighten out streaming across the network, it will be a sure fire hit.
Marbles_00

PreviousNext