My Thread

Speak your mind

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:09 pm

How is it hanging guys?

There was big storm here over the weekends... we were literaly swept back to stone age! If somebody has been wondering why dl links for xPerT and my alpha stuff are down, that is the reason. It also served a good reminder how vulnarable we are against elements.

Electricity went down and stayd down for two hours!! and that happned twice! Ever consider how important electricity is in your life? Without it even simplest of stuff come damn complicated, also theres not much u can do without it... anybody has any idea how damn cold finnish igloo gets after two hours without electricity on winter? Anybody knows where i put the operation manual of fireplace??

It really caught me with surprise... i mean i have two low power generators here... not enough run for heating ofcourse, but enough to keep servers up and make coffee, watch telly, etc... but they were not connected to house network, and obviously not prepared for continuous action on moment regular power goes down (like big one on the cabin). Thats all because in last fifteen years there has not been power cuts longer than 2 minutes... week ago i could have said that i trust my life with stability of our power, not anymore though.

Anyway next time this happens... (hopefully ive have to wait another 15 years) im gonna be ready. Im gonna build battery powered emergency lighting which computer switches on as soon as it sences power is down. anybody done something like that already? im also gonna check with electrician if generators can be connected to house network as secondary power source and switched on automaticly when computer detects power problem...

Anyway once power was finally back again... my LAN didnt come back up anymore... I can only guess reasons... and im right now not too interested even to try find out why... so xPerT will be unavailable for a while... however demand was never too big so i think ill get it back up before it will be missed ;)

I was forced to do something which didnt involve electricity... and i discovered something called literature... and i think it is rather interesting... might make a new hobby... I have to investigate it further...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Previous