Computer VS Projector for TV viewing

Speak your mind

Computer VS Projector for TV viewing

Postby homepc on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Heres the situation:

I can view my TV either through the computer, by s-video cable, which then sends the signal to the projector or connect it directly to the projector by compsite(yellow RCA) cable. I would rather view TV through the computer and integrate it into XL, but the quality of the picture is not as good as when I connect the TV directly to my projector.

My question is, what is making the picture quality not as good? Is it my tuner card? Is it my video card? Is it the s-Video Cable? Is there any way I can make the picture quality as good or even better then when I connect it directly to the projector?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks
Ray
homepc

Re: Computer VS Projector for TV viewing

Postby lpg on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:02 pm

do you have any other connectors on the TV or Projector? Unfortunately the s-video and composite connectors will only produce fair results. The s-video is better than the composite but only by a small amount.

Larry
lpg

Postby hansmaravilla on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:36 pm

Get a video card with a DVI output. Then use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to your HD TV.
hansmaravilla

Postby jji666 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:51 pm

You've asked a somewhat complex question. There is a complex relation between the capability of your computer to process analog/interlaced NTSC video (TV signal) and whatever processing capabilities your projector has. Chances are your projector does a decent job at deinterlacing and scaling the TV image whereas when it is going through the computer you are bypassing that circuitry in your projector by inputting it through the VGA port. You would need to replacce that processing with something software based (most likely) in your computer. Look up DScaler and start your reading from there. It will look much better once you have implemented some image processing through your computer.

It's also true that S-video is going to give you not great results compared to HDTV (I am assuming you're talking about standard def -- there's no way to get an HDTV signal into your computer with consumer level equipment except as to over the air HDTV broadcasts). But in terms of signal transport S-video is probably the best you can do. However, if you really want to optimize it, you should see if your TV tuner card is the best there is. There are older chipsets out there, and not so great implementations, that will give you a somewhat crappy image no matter how you try. Sometimes the hardware isn't well shielded and you'll see interference and a number of other problems. So check into some of the newer and preferred TV tuner cards to get the best you can afford. AVSforum is a good place to get some advice on tuner cards and there are many discussions on the topic.

I also agree that using a DVI/HDMI interface between your computer and your projector might improve things, but I highly doubt that is the primary issue with your TV picture. It would make a signicant difference once you are in the HDTV range of resolution, possibly a 480p DVD, but in your case I'll bet it's a combination of lack of image processing (deinterlacing is my real guess) in your PC as compared to what your projector is doing with the direct S-Video signal. I'll bet your projector has a faroudja chip for analog input processing and that is hard to beat, although Dscaler will do the job.

Good luck!
jji666

Postby homepc on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 pm

WOW!! Thanks alot for all your input. I will research this more on the internet and in AVSforum. I really appreciate all you guys have done!!

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby hjackson on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:10 am

Homepc, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered so that we can help you out. We need to know what type of TV and projector (HDTV vs standard def TV and CRT vs DLP/LCOS/LCD/Plasma) you have. We need to know how many and what type of video inputs (ie. composite, S-video, component, RGB, DVI, HDMI) your TV and projector have. We need to know what type of display device you are using with your PC. You may be better off running your FIOS directly to the monitor (TV/projector/PC monitor) and not through your PC. In fact, I am certain you would be. How are you integrating Xlobby with your FIOS when run through your PC? What is Xlobby doing for you with this setup?
This should help you get better/more answers to your questions. Later. :D

hjackson
hjackson

Postby homepc on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:25 am

Thanks hjackson,

The picture quality is better running FIOS directly through the projector by composite (yellow RCA) plug. The picture quality is not quite as sharp running it through my tuner card by s-video into the computer and then up to the projector. Its not bad, but just not as sharp. I wonder if its my video card in the computer that isn't producing a sharp image? It only has 128MB of video memory. I was wondering if I upgraded my video card to 256MB or maybe 512MB, if it would help sharpen the picture quality? These are the only connections I have. I realize that composite and s-video are about the same, so given all things equal, I wondered why the connection directly to the projector is better then through the computer.

thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:47 am

Analog TV outputs from video cards have always been somewhat sub-standard in picture quality. This being that video cards are not the best at producing interlaced video properly. For a while, ATI cards held out the edge for betting PQ over Nvidia, but I'm not sure it is still the same...or if it really matters to them anymore as most monitors (TV or computer) have component/DVI or HDMI inputs to take advantage of the better video transfer techniques.
Marbles_00

Postby m_ski on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:20 pm

homepc,

upgrading your video card's memory would make no difference to this image quality, the memory just helps with running games and the massive amounts of 3D graphics needed to do this. I think your problem is you are just losing quality by sampling the image with your video card and then sending it again to the projector, you have an extra analog-digital and digital-analog conversion going on, it is bound to lose a bit of quality. I suggest you hook up FIOS directly to the projector and just use xlobby to control it thru IR controls.
m_ski

Postby homepc on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Thanks m_ski,

Thats really what I needed to know. I wont spend any more time or money trying to get the computer to look as good as the direct connect then. thanks for saving me time and money. I wish I could use XL to control the projector but I have to change the input on the projector to a differant input for the TV. I dont think, or at least I dont know how I would do that through XL.

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby hjackson on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:56 am

Homepc, you really need to answer those questions I posed if you want more help.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby homepc on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:48 pm

hjackson wrote:Homepc, you really need to answer those questions I posed if you want more help.

hjackson

Thanks anyway hjackson, but I think I got my answer. As you and m_ski have already said, its probably better to just connect my FIOS directly to my projector. And I'm fine with that.

Thanks for all your help
Ray
homepc

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:57 pm

you should be able to use xLobby to control the projector either via a IR blaster or Serial Cable, if supported.
cmhardwick

Postby homepc on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:12 pm

cmhardwick wrote:you should be able to use xLobby to control the projector either via a IR blaster or Serial Cable, if supported.

That might be something I will look into. How does the IRBlaster send the signal to the projector? Can you briefly explain how this setup would work?
homepc

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:31 pm

You would use the 1/8" output jack on the USB-UIRT:
to your projector with an IR Repeater:

Works like a charm!!!
sharp_1

Next