Movie Ratings

Speak your mind

Movie Ratings

Postby homepc on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Heres the issue....

In the intheaters and trailers databases, when I do a search for rating, I get ratings such as, G, PG, PG-13, R....normal. In my movies database, when I do a search for ratings I get things like, R for some violence, sexuality and language, PG-13 for crude humor, sexual content and language, PG-13 for sustained intense war sequences, images of wounded, brief sensuality and some language. Very long a verbose descriptions which make it a little difficult to do a search. I know the spiders are doing this. Is there anyway I can change it?

Thanks
Ray
homepc

Re: Movie Ratings

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:10 pm

can you knock a script up to do it? its probably only a few lines of code?

its on my list of things to add to one of my plugins but i never got round to doing it...

i also want a simple way of appending things to the genre field (so i could easily tag a flim as kids).

tidying up the run time filed would also be nice, mine are a mixture of "xxx minutes" "runtime xxx minutes" etc.

i will do it eventually but i dont know when, i even have a almost complete plugin (xDatabase) to put them in :)
S Pittaway

Postby homepc on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:27 pm

S Pittaway, yes, I would think it's just a simple substring command. I will see what I can do. If I figure it out, I'll let you know...

thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby homepc on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:42 pm

So, what script language are the spiders written in anyway?
homepc

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:25 pm

I think, if you are using DVD Profiler for your import, there's another rating choice that's just the letter ratings, like G, PG-13, PG, R, etc. Can't remember exactly what it's called, but I know it's there because I changed my screens to use that one instead.
cmhardwick

Postby homepc on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:29 pm

Im not using DVD profiler. I'm just using the default spiders for XL.

thanks
homepc

Postby tswhite70 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Personally I like the complete rating so that when looking at the movie details I can see exactly why it was rated the way it was. But you're right for filtering it's a pain. So I added a field to my movie database called "filterrating" where I put the short rating (NR, R, PG, PG-13, etc) and I filter on that field instead of the rating field. I actually populate the field manually whenever I add a new movie, but you could easily do it in the spider.

For instance in the IMDB spider you could just add the following:

//FilterRating
<h5><a href="/mpaa">MPAA</a>:</h5>.*?Rated (?<filterrating>.*?)\s.*?</div>

BTW This is the same thing I do in the InTheaters script.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby homepc on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Tsw! Perfect! This is exactly what I want. And I also agree that the verbose ratings are useful in their own way. So, when I view movie details I will include the complete rating, but for searching I will use the filterrating rating....perfect!

thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:44 am

like i said its only a few lines of code so i added in to my plugin, it already parses databases and adds things like date added, played times, user ratings etc

i added an option to generate a field xdb.movie.short.rating, which is derived from the rating field. It does a full pass on the movie database so if you refresh/edit use the spiders you would have to run it again t add them for any new ratings.

i am in the uk so it also converts us ratings to uk ratings... but i guess this does not effect you? :)

I am not sure of the rating system in the us, but it looks for
US New - G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17
US Old - G, M, R, X
And tries to change any of the old format entries into the new ones.

If you want a copy of the plugin (it does a ton of other stuff but you dnt have to use them) let me know and i will knock you something up.
S Pittaway

Postby Grooby on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Heh, i'd like it posted to have a look at!
Grooby