Select category item based on barcode

Got an idea, post it here

Select category item based on barcode

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Like many of us who own a changer or have ripped their movies on hard disc i have original physical movie covers stored in a binder. Sometimes is cool to select movie from physical binder... so i was just thinking that would be very cool if u could use barcode reader to read EAN and launch the movie in XLobby.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jowaldo on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:23 pm

I could be way wrong, but you could probably do that with girder and xlobby..
jowaldo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:53 pm

jowaldo wrote:I could be way wrong, but you could probably do that with girder and xlobby..

Havent yet ponderer around girder so i cant say anything about that. But I realized after i post that, that its actually possible to do as external plugin, basicly what u have to do is just integrate barcode reader driver with XJumpTo plugin.

When i posted i thought it would need support from core, but yeah now this post just work as plugin idea for talented coders out there.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jbretsch on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:33 pm

Most barcode readers just push the content of the barcode into the keyboard buffer, hence if you have a UI where you can key-in the number under the barcode and it will select the album, you are all set..
jbretsch

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Interesting. I would like one of those blutooth readers :P too bad they are rather expensive :(
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Bill Lott on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:48 pm

Try eBay for a "Cuecat" barcode scanner. Very cheap and works great with DVD profiler to input DVD data.
Bill Lott

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:13 pm

hehe thanx but no thanx :shock:

Baracoda pencil is what i would like, it costs 350€ here or 200 pounds sterling if i order from uk, that i guess is some 300€...

but if i decide i cant afford bluetooth... im certainly goin with regular pen model then... im not exactly keen about hello kitty look :)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Select category item based on barcode

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:44 am

during these five years never got baracoda but i tested few readers... even that cat (thanx bill)... finally settled with socket 7 series. Only problem was, that socket was asking almost 1k$ for their SDK... can u bloody believe these ftards. After hobbyist buys their expensive equibment they have nerve to ask 1k (per bloody platform) so that hobbyist can write software for them to sell more devices. These guys have zero business sense... Anyway i considered that invitation to get me paws dirty, took three nights and i had pretty much figured all comm between their device and driver and built prototype to circumvent their code 100%, there was no encryption so im not even breaking secure system and hence not breaching lex carpelan (finnish draconian version of millenium act). It would have ofcourse not been absolute necessity to reinvent a wheel, i could have built on top of virtual keyboard wedge but this way theres no possibility to crosstalk with keyboard and u can have some auxiliary services like battery status. Anyway if somebody has socket scanners lying aroun and has interest to try out and nerve to set up pervtalk infrastructure, let me know.
P3rv3rt B3ar