Planned HTPC (Over the coming Months) - Comments/Suggestions

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:09 am

Marbles_00 wrote:Judging the only extra card I would put into it would be a HD capture card.

Have u some specific one in mind? That is something ive been unsuccesfully looking within acceptable price range (lets say less than $500), and i could really benefit from some pointers. (i take consideration even SD-cards (575i) as long as it supports component (RGBS&YUV) input, since my main aplication would be realtime digital enchanchement of DVD picture anyway)

Thanx in advance.

One card im aware and seriously considering is this sweetspot but id like to know if there are better choiges out there. This one is not HD but atleast price is not that bad...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:56 pm

I haven't speced out a HD capture card as I have no reason too yet (no HDTV box or reception, and none planned in the near future). It has to have a PCI-E connection figuring my PVR-150 and soundcard are both PCI, and the video card will be PCI-Ex16, the only slot left will be the PCI-E.

So right now I don't have any specific cards in mind.
Marbles_00

Postby dalanik on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:33 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:well maybe between the Intel dudes vs the AMD dudes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto
dalanik

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:20 pm

WOW! Goes to show just how important the cooler really is to the system. It would appear that the Intels have some good thermal protection circuitry that will shut down the CPU. Surprised that AMD doesn't have some sort of circuitry to protect against that as well. It shouldn't be that difficult to impliment.

Good video dalanik. I really enjoyed it.
Marbles_00

Postby lpg on Tue May 01, 2007 2:57 am

Wow, remind me not to remove the heatsink while running. The AMD must have smelled real good.
lpg

Postby Wayne123 on Tue May 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Of course that is a very old video, I don't think that is a problem now.
I think the core 2 duos are a better value now then AMD's and will build my next PC with an Intel for the first time in almost 15 years. I have yet to have a AMD burn up but I do know of a few people who smoked Athlon 1000mhz processors by booting the system before installing the cooler.
Wayne123

Postby abobader on Wed May 02, 2007 9:32 am

Wayne123 wrote:Of course that is a very old video, I don't think that is a problem now.
I think the core 2 duos are a better value now then AMD's

That correct, latest test show that dual AMD FX-72 lost in front of Intel QX6700 in some magazine review.
abobader

Postby Flagg on Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 pm

Ok CPU specs have changed a bit:

ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA MB (needed the PCI slot support for capture card etc)

Intel Duo Core E6600 or E6700 (pricing them now)

1GB RAM

Going with an Antec TX1050B for the case which includes 500W PS.

Which should get me upconverting :)
Flagg

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri May 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Going with an Antec TX1050B for the case which includes 500W PS.

That case is more of a "server" type of case. Are you going away from a HTPC and decided to set up a NAS? Yeah the power supply might be 500W, but it now could be more "fan" noisy, as the intentions of that sort of case isn't for HTPC use, but to push more air through for cooling of multiple hard drives and the sort.

Keep that in mind.

The Intel chips look good. Only the E6700 is still pretty pricey. AMD, Intel, either way for our intentions in HTPC look good (just don't run the AMD without a cooler).

Asrock MB, from what I've seen, tend to be a little cheaper than the others in the market. Keep that in mind...you get what you pay for. I did skim some reviews quickly on that board, and they rated it pretty good.

Good luck.
Marbles_00

Postby Flagg on Sat May 05, 2007 5:04 am

Yeah it's a bit of a budget MB - but it is getting some decent reviews and it's got 4 PCI slots (I was trying for 5 ;P).

The E6700 is down enough in price for me :) I'm still looking at the 6600 and debating... waiting on some quotes.

In regards to the case, at the moment I have 7 drives in my desktop and it's cramped. I want room for storage+expansion. The box got some decent reviews for noise, and it may well be converted to a NAS later in its existence. For now, given the large number of drives I have, I basically want the space, and it should actually be quieter than what I'm currently running (which is basically a tin can).
Flagg

Postby Flagg on Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm

So I picked up the box today.

Antec TX1050B case, which is surprisingly quiet - less noise than the desktop I was running Xlobby on. It is, however, massive, but since this box will eventually be a NAS in a few years, that's fine, I can live with it, and it's got the space I want.

Foxconn MB - turns out the Asrock 4CoreDual-VISTA has everything I needed... except the PCI-e is an x4, not an x16. Foxconn's model was simliar in price, 1 less PCI slot, 2 extra SATA connectors, and true PCI-e x16.

E6600 2.4Mhz Duo Core CPU. Nixed the E6700.

NVIDIA 8500GT, HDCP compliant, DVI/VGA and S-Video out.

1GB RAM - will up this later but for now it was a price issue.

Cheapo LG DVD RW Dual Layer +/- burner, another possible future upgrade, we'll see how it goes... I actually burn very little.

Had them throw in a 500GB SATA drive as well which I'm sure to fill soon.

Next step (besides config) is picking up the capture card and settling on a TV - 37" LCD HDTV, debating between models.
Flagg

Re: Planned HTPC (Over the coming Months) - Comments/Suggestions

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:09 pm

Okay, now I'm re-thinking. I found a small computer store around me that sometimes sells the Cooler Master Cavilier 4 case as an "Open Box" sale for $75 cdn. when they get them, so I'm keeping that option open. Really nice looking, full ATX case...so now my choice of motherboard will be changing from a uATX to full size. What do you guys recommend for a full ATX mobo...either AMD or Intel base...doesn't matter. I'm an ASUS guy normally, but want to know what others are using.

Also hearing more and more feedback, I'm starting to re-think about which CPU type to go with...AMD or Intel...though I think when it comes to a HTPC, any decent CPU will do the job.
Marbles_00

Postby lpg on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:55 am

I haven't bought anything new in awhile but I have also been an ASUS fan using AMD. I have 4 mobo's most running 24/7 and have not had any problems. 2 boards are a year old and the others are 2 years out. I usually go with a board that is one less than their top offering to save some money.
lpg

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Well, my planning stages are still on-going. You can view some of the parts I'm thinking about here:
http://mayhem.prod.googlepages.com/myhtpc

Have a look and comment. I'm still planning so all the help is worthwhile.
Marbles_00

Postby lpg on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:37 pm

Hey Marbles, Looks like a pretty good plan.

Processor: I have the socket 939 version of the 4600+ X2. I use fddshow and do picture enhancement and resize to 3 times the dvd input. (I use the AVSFOrums recommendation on setup).I The processor peaks at 60 to 70 percent using both cores.

Fan: My fan looks very similar to the zalman your looking at. Make sure the packaging for the ram you choose fits under the fins. Mine was very close I had to play with the positioning of the fan.

HD: Check out on slient PC to see if the drive is rated for quiteness. I have a 10K 160gb baracudda that is very noisy while seeking. I have had good luck with hitachi and Samaung OEM's and they are quite.

Video: Depending what you are planning to do in the future i.e. Blu-ray or HD hvd make sure your vid card can offload the video processing. The PowerDVD site has requirements listed.

DVD: I just bought the LG GGC-H20L @ $275 from NCIX(great Canadian store). It seems to play every format known to man including Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I am getting it incorporated into my setup.

All of this is going to my 67" Samsung at 1920x1080 through the vga port. The picture looks incredible.

You probably already are on top of all of this but thought I woud throw out some thoughts.

Larry
lpg

PreviousNext