Really cheap touchscreen internet tablet!

Speak your mind

Really cheap touchscreen internet tablet!

Postby danjb on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:08 am

Buy.com has the Nokia N770 on sale for $140+free shipping: link

I thought I got a good deal at Woot.com last week when they sold these for $130+$5 shipping for one day, but apparently Nokia is unloading them cheaply. It isn't a 12" screen tablet PC running Vista, but given it costs about one tenth the price of one of those, it's a pretty nice device. It runs Linux, so can only use the web client for xLobby, but at an 800x480 resolution screen, it looks very nice.

One thing I've noticed: for some reason, you always need to refresh the page after clicking on xLobby. After your initial click, the page will load, but with a blank image. If you then refresh, the proper next page displays correctly. Does anyone have any idea why? It runs a relatively robust browser (Opera V8) that supports JavaScript and Flash.

Thanks for any tip on how to avoid having to hit the refresh button in the browser after every click!
danjb

Re: Really cheap touchscreen internet tablet!

Postby wesblack on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:15 pm

Yeah this device is really cool, I saw the Nokia 770 at CES 2007 in las Vegas when it was first introduced. Some of my first thoughts were to interface it with xLobby. It can provide some interesting possibilities as well as access for IR controlability using a USB-URIT, Global Cache or WACI IP based control devices, etc.

Nokia Website
http://www.nokiausa.com/770

I just ordered one last night so we can experiment with adding some support for this device in the future.

Thanks for sharing your findings with everyone + you can't beat the price. When I have some details or make progress with the 770 I will post them here, later we can have a forum section for supporting the Nokia 770 as well as other web tablet devices like the Samsung Q1 as well.

Samsung Website
http://www.samsung.com/Products/UltraMobilePC/UltraMobilePC/NP_Q1_V000SEA.asp

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Jay on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:04 pm

My 770 arrived yesterday from Woot. 1st thing I did was focus on XL. Other than having to hit refresh after every button push, it's great.
Now if I could just find that Web > View > Optimized view function.
Jay

Postby bmblank on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:14 am

I'm not much of a linux (or unix or whatever it is) guy, but it sure would be neat to get some kind of thin client that would work on a unix based machine. Even if it isn't a fullblown compatability, just get a thin client to run on them for all of those tablets and stuff.
bmblank

Postby Jay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:07 pm

I just installed a VNC app from maeamo.org. Works great and no more screen refreshing.
http://maemo.org/downloads/communications/ get the 1st VNC viewer listed. It's for OS 2006. (Nokia 770)
Jay

Postby scottw on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Jay,

So how does it seem to work now. Would it be the same as using the thin client on a PPC or regular computer???

What do you just have it VNC'd into your Xlobby server??
scottw

Postby Jay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:55 pm

I already had tightVNC on the XLserver and added the VNC viewer to my 770.
Unlike the Web client, I can view my Web screens within XL. I haven't used the thin client in a long time so I can't compare.

Since it's VNC, it's a remote desktop function. When you use VNC on the 770 and watch the server, you'll see that the server screen follows your stylus commands on the 770.
However, this doesn't foul up another user simultaneously using a Web client. They still see and can do what they expect to.

Hope that was clear.
Jay

Postby Jay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Forgot to mention. Since the 770's at 800x480 and you're looking at your server with probably a much higher res, you're not going to see the entire screen w/o scrolling.
I guess it's finally time to start playing with the PPC screens :)
Last edited by Jay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Postby scottw on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:58 pm

Cool thanks.
scottw

Postby Jay on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:24 pm

:)
Jay

.NET Runtime

Postby wolfman on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:50 am

I also think this piece of hardware would be really cool for conrtolling xLobby.
I actually don't own the device, so I'm unable to test the following.
As i understand, prerequist to run the thin client is a .Net Runtime Environment??
Would it be possible to run it on this device by using the the Open-Source Environment Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/Maemo)
Using the web-browser isn't as practicable because of the refresh, and i have to set set the resolution everytime i use it.
wolfman

Re: .NET Runtime

Postby rbziggy on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:40 pm

wolfman wrote:I also think this piece of hardware would be really cool for conrtolling xLobby.
I actually don't own the device, so I'm unable to test the following.
As i understand, prerequist to run the thin client is a .Net Runtime Environment??
Would it be possible to run it on this device by using the the Open-Source Environment Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/Maemo)
Using the web-browser isn't as practicable because of the refresh, and i have to set set the resolution everytime i use it.

I picked up a 770 - rude not to at the price they are going out at. My initial impressions are that they are really neat devices and in many respects just the thing for xLobby use if we can get it running successfully on a Linux device.

On the unit itself, the only drawback is that this doesn't charge directly from sitting in a cradle - you have to plug in a cord. Not as good as the Dell Axim's that I use presently with the client ppc interface. (I also have a mounted touchscreen connected directly to the PC videocard for normal server screen access). The 800x480 screen is excellent - big improvement over a ppc.

So to getting xL to run. Well I tried the web i/f for the first time. My standard server screens are set to the touchscreen size of 1280X768 - rendering from the xL webserver to the (I think) 600X480 was awful - just didn't work, all the fields get distorted and text truncates. (Not really complaining here - I would have been surprised if the different size and screen ratios had worked!) Plus I got the same issue as reported by others of having to refresh the screen at each touch. Not really an option I think.

I then tried the VNC client on the 770 (I already run the VNC server on my xL machine). I'm quite impressed. The image looks really good on the 770 and worked nicely. It's a little sluggish - not quite as good as the ppc speed on the axims. The only issue is that with my screen setups, you cant get the whole screen displayed on the 770 at once - you have to scroll around. It's a shame vnc cant render to fit the client screen as the 770 has a 1.667 ratio - same as the server, so it might be a good fit. (Unfortunately, I've never managed to get my pc to drive the screen image at 800x480 - it doesn't have the driver to do it!).

Apparently you can also use rdesktop on the 770. I havent tried this yet. I'm guessing it may have the same prob with screen scrolling but you could set up a separate account to use the ppc screens and go that route.

Finally to MONO - I liked the look of this. I've installed the runtime on the 770 from the website. Unfortunately I simply cant figure out how to run a binary .net app (i.e. the client xlobby2sd.exe) under this despite spending several hours on the mono site. If anyone has any clues on doing this I'd be most interested.
rbziggy

Postby CiXel on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:47 pm

Are these actually touchscreen based units that you can operate with a finger or is a stylus requred?
CiXel

Postby fletch on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Mono looks like the way to go. Please let us know what level of success you have with this, I'm really interested. I should be getting my 770 shortly, I ordered 1 from woot on Thursday.

I assume you've seen this page;
http://www.mono-project.com/Maemo

I'm really a hack programmer, so I'm not certain on this but I suspect we will find that the thin client executable will not work. Even with the mono loaded to the 770. There is a mono compatibility checking app available. With it you can analyze a .NET assembly to see if it will run using mono. So I ran it against the thin client executable. The good news is that all of the .NET methods called by the executable are supported by mono, the bad news is that the app makes 39 "P/Invokes." Now this is where the hack programmer part comes in, so if I'm incorrect here please somebody correct me. My understanding is that a P/Invoke is the process of accessing native win32 functions directly from .NET. For instance .NET is moving away from writing to the system registy, so if as a developer you want to write to the registry from a .NET application you must directly call the win32 method to write, there is no .NET method to do this. Since the app makes use of this process 39 times I suspect this could cause problems. Now to be optimistic, Wes has shown interest in the device so maybe a thin client could be written that doesn't make use of these P/Invoke methods. And as such could run on the 770, or any other Linux variant.

Aaron

Edit - Here's another page regarding setting up mono on the 770;
http://www.mfconsulting.com/tutorial/no ... ia770.html
fletch

Postby rbziggy on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:49 am

CiXel wrote:Are these actually touchscreen based units that you can operate with a finger or is a stylus requred?

Works with a finger too.
rbziggy

Next