password protect a DB as opposed to screen

Got an idea, post it here

password protect a DB as opposed to screen

Postby dalanik on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:54 pm

I know it's a bad time for feature requests... but this is creating a lot of problems for me :-) So I'll just pray Steven reads this and has a few spare moments to implement it :-)

As subject says... right now it's possible to password protect SCREENs. But when I use movies category, i have XXX movies, or when I use pictures, i have XXX pictures (OK, these are not really XXX, just marvel comics - but I'm trying to prevent the kid from readin comics too much)... I can create protection by making a whole new page with password for XXX films and XXX pictures, but that complicates navigation, creates a lot of unnecessary pages etc. If we could protect a DATABASE (not category!), all this could be avoided. I could have same screens for all movies, just set the database, and on database set, I'd be prompter to enter the password.

Steven, when you read this sometime in april-may '07, could you consider adding this? :-)

Pretty please?

D.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Ah, and another thing that I discovered while playing with password protected screens :-)

You can always bypass password protected screen just by going back->back->back if the screen was opened recently.... :-(

D.
dalanik

Postby lar282 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:18 pm

dalanik wrote:Ah, and another thing that I discovered while playing with password protected screens :-)

You can always bypass password protected screen just by going back->back->back if the screen was opened recently.... :-(

D.

How do u do
back-back-back?

I though XL only did
Back-Menu!!!

//Lasse
lar282

Postby dalanik on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:08 pm

backspace? I have to try it out exactly, but it is possible to return at least 1 screen.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Problem solved :-) Well, partly. A protected DB would be better! :-)

Instead of creating separate screen for password protected category, I created a dummy screen, which is password protected. so, when I want to go to the protected database, i go to this screen (it asks me for the password) and if correct pwd is entered, this screen has onload event which sets the database to protected db, and returns to the original page (from which it was called).

D.
dalanik

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:47 pm

Sure would be great to protect a DB by rating or genre or ??? though...still would love to see some type of parental control rather then having to do workarounds.
Pole here: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
sharp_1