Animated GIF's

Help each other out

Animated GIF's

Postby homepc on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:17 pm

The other day I was doing some tweeking to my menu screen. I put an animated GIF on the screen. It was a spinning soccor ball. After I exited the configuration screen, the soccor ball started spinning right there on the screen. So, I got the idea of using these animated GIFs for the "enter" selection. As an example, the image "soccor.gif" is just a stationary soccor ball image. Then I would have an image "soccor-enter.gif" as a spinning ball. Place the soccor.gif on the screen, setup the soccor-enter.gif so that when I mouse over the image it spins. Well, this did not work. I could tell that the image changed to the spinning soccor ball, but it would not spin. Has anyone played with this? CanI get it to work? Or is it a lost cause?

My main goal is to have the menu images still until I mouse over them and then they would animate.

thanks
Ray
homepc

Re: Animated GIF's

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Not exactly what you want to hear, but have you checked out HeavyMetal Flash? It uses Flash animation, but if I recall, did exaclty what you want. When going over buttons, little butterflies would zip around.

P3rvB3ar was doing some sort of animation with Rika with P3rvTalk. You should check out those posts. I think it was in Rika's weather example skin.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:52 pm

If u cant make core animator work... there also built in gif animator within xPerT which should be capable handling what u r trying to accomplish. And i think i have documented it on some thread... not necessarily on xPerT thread though. Dont confuse it with Slideshow functionality i build on Rika's wishes, allthought this can be used as animator as well, but i would first try the real gif animator, its prolly simpler and more suitable to task on hand.

EDIT: as marbles above says u can find instructions here thread starts with describing use of loadanimation... and evolves into discussion and development of slideshows.... discussion continues on xpert thread and later on another thread if i remember correctly. I would recommend trying with loadanimation first and with slideshows second.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby homepc on Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 pm

GREAT!! Thanks for the info! I will do more research!
homepc

Postby dalanik on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:05 pm

GIF support is buggy at best, as I discovered, i.e. GIFs work OK when put on screen, but not on overlay (!), also they can't be hidden and shown, again, no animation, etc.
dalanik