TV Guide

Help each other out

TV Guide

Postby smotta on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi All,

This might be a unique question but,

Do you have to have a TV tuner installed to get TV guide to work with Xlobby. I am currently fund-raising for a dedicated HTPC but until that happens i would atleast like to enable the TV guide function of Xlobby as a techno-savy version of the traditional TV guide - so i can look up shows from work and such.

Is this currently supported and if so - where do i go about getting a digital version of the tv guide in my area?

Thanks guys!
-Sean
smotta

Re: TV Guide

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:11 pm

No you don't need a tuner card. Currently if you reside in North America, there is the Zap2It group, but as of September that will be no longer available (well at least through them). If you reside elsewhere, then there are other services. I connect to the Zap2It server via xmltv.exe, which I think was included with the original xlobby installers, but can be downloaded from the net no problems.

Once the guide has been uploaded into .xml format, you can set it up to display within xlobby. Xlobby can view .xml databases formatted via xmltv.

You will require a tuner card if you use one of the TV plugins available to view or record TV.

Hope that helps.
Marbles_00

Postby smotta on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:34 pm

Sounds great - will try right away.

Any idea why they will no longer be available?
-Sean
smotta

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:51 pm

Not sure, but I think people weren't behaving in accordance to the lisnence agreement.

Big time sucks though! Hopefully a group of guys...one being the developer of xmltv can take it over and continue the project.

There's a post elsewhere in the General forums about it and a possible alternative.
Marbles_00