TVMan: TV Episode Database Importer

Xlobby plugin development

TVMan: TV Episode Database Importer

Postby Jarrod on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:22 am

Introducing...

Image - If you find this software useful, please donate!, any amount helps!

TVMan (TV Manager) is a standalone application that creates an Xlobby database XML file for your TV episode collection, downloading information from TV.com and series images from epguides.com.

DOWNLOAD HERE - Version 0.6 - Updated Tuesday, Oct 24th.
Latest Version is always available from the above link.

Instructions:
1. Download zip file (above)
2. Unzip into a folder. All files must be in the same folder.
3. Run TVMan.exe
4. Add the paths for your TV Episode collections.
5. Select where to save the database XML file (eg. Program Files/xlobby/databases/tv.xml)
6. Choose whether to rename files where episode details are known
7. Choose filename format. Right click the rename text field to see the naming options. Select an option and it will be inserted into the field automatically.
8. Choose whether or not to use the built-in episode cover art. If you do not select this, episodes will not have any coverart assigned when browsing in Xlobby.
9. Choose whether to do a full rescan of your collection, or just update new files. By default this will be unticked if the XML file already exists.
10. Press the start button to begin the process.

The program will now search tv.com for episode information based on your tv episode files.

When the program finds more than one show matching the folder name, it will list all the matching shows (eg. Lost, Lost in space, etc) and you will have to select the correct show for the program to continue.

The program will then download a list of episodes for the season and will show a window to match your files for each season to the episode listing of the season. By skipping a season the file information is still added to the database, but the episode information (eg. air date, plot, etc) are not downloaded. If a file spans multiple episodes, simply select it and press the 'Span episodes' button and the filename will be added to the next blank spot and the episodes being spanned will be highlighted in purple. This is useful for if you have ISO files of DVD's which have multiple TV episodes on them. These files will not be renamed automatically even if the rename option is selected.

You can also drag and drop episodes in the list. Drag & Drop with left mouse click will swap the places of the selected item and the target item. Dragging with right mouse click will simply move the selected item to the target item and force other items to change spots.

If you accidentally remove a file or episode from the list, you can click the 'Rescan episode list' button to undo all changes.

Xlobby Setup:
1. Add an events folder called 'tv' to your skin events. Add an event called 'play episode', and make it do the catalog>execute command of the TV database.
2. Add a new screen to your skin (cloning the movies screen is the quickest way) call it 'tv'.
3. Change the catalog item to point to the tv database and change the display text, the overlay screen, etc.
4. Clone the movieviewer screen, call it 'tvviewer'
5. Add the episode information (such as series, season, episode, title, plot, airdate) to a text field on the tvviewer screen.
6. Make the play button execute the 'play episode' event added earlier.

NOTES:
Your TV episodes must be stored in the following format: "TV Folder/Series Name/Season ##/episodefile.***"
The file extension is configurable in the program.
The episode file can be in any format (and manually matched to an episode), but the program will recognise most common formats such as 's##e##', '###', '##x##', etc, where # represents the season or episode number.
If you want to add another filename format to the list, simply edit the 'filenameRegex' in the settings.xml file.
The season folder name must match the 'seasonRegex' in the settings.xml file. Currently it matches 'season ##' and 's##' with spaces and case-insensitive.

The regular expressions used to scrape content from tv.com can be edited in the settings.xml file. They are currently working perfectly, but may change in future as the tv.com website layout changes.

The coverart shown for season numbers and episode numbers is located in the 'images' folder of the zip file. If you want to change the way they look to match your skin, simply overwrite the existing images with ones of your choice. You can choose not to use episode coverart if you are using another method, such as screen shots of the actual episode.

TVMan can currently only be run from a local machine. Trying to run it over the network will cause it to crash. TV episodes can be anywhere on your network however.

Run TVMan from the machine Xlobby is run from. This will ensure all paths to TV episode files will be correct for Xlobby to launch the files.

TVMan is written in VB.NET and requires the .NET 1.1 Framework be installed.

If any error messages pop up along the way, please post them here so that I can fix them nasty bugs. Please read log.txt in the same folder as the TVMan.exe to see more details on any errors.

Let me know how it works for you, and if you have any feature requests please let me know!

Thanks,
Last edited by Jarrod on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Jarrod

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am

Interesting... and released JIT, TV-shows was part i planned to do next for my setup :P

EDIT: BTW do i know u from certain carputer-forum?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Jarrod on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:40 pm

you sure do. 8)

Let me know how it goes :)
Jarrod

Postby Jarrod on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Just wondering if anyone has actually tried this out yet?
Jarrod

Postby abobader on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Jarrod wrote:Just wondering if anyone has actually tried this out yet?

Hi Jarrod,

I am about to give try tonight, but I want to conform two issue:

NOTES:
Your TV episodes must be stored in the following format: "TV Folder/Series Name/Season ##/episodefile.***"
The file extension is configurable in the program.

What if I have more than one servers location to put and "Season" names, as:

//TVE/TV1$/
................/Columbo/
............................../Season 1/
............................................/01 - Columbo S1D1.iso
............................................/02 - Columbo S1D2.iso

Etc. and:

//Home/TV2$/
................/Shogun/
............................../Volume 1/
............................................/01 - Shogun V1D1.iso
............................................/02 - Shogun V1D2.iso

Etc.

Thanks in advanced.

My best.
abobader

Postby abobader on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi,

Servers path works well, the problem now with season on dvd, as iso images, example:

I have seinfeld on iso as well as dvdrip files:

\\TV$\Seinfeld\
\\TV$\Seinfeld\Season 1\
\\TV$\Seinfeld\Season 1\01 - Seinfeld S1D1.iso
\\TV$\Seinfeld\Season 1\02 - Seinfeld S1D2.iso

\\TV$\Seinfeld\
\\TV$\Seinfeld\Season 3\
\\TV$\Seinfeld\Season 3\01 - Seinfeld S1E1.iso
\\TV$\Seinfeld\Season 3\02 - Seinfeld S1E2.iso

The problem as in the dvd's it have like 4 or more episodes, the problem when scanning it give like this:

Code: Select all
Episode                                        Filename
--------                                         ----------
S1 E1 episodename
S1 E2 episodename
to...
S1 E24 episodename
                                                   01 - Seinfeld S1D1.iso
                                                   02 - Seinfeld S1D2.iso

So, thing if I move the first iso to the top to match the frist epis. then the program will think that iso actully the one episode.

Can more option be added to able to let it copy the "filename" to indecated for the 4 or 5 episodes?

Still did not test the database output yet, but that my first feedback.

Thanks in advanced.

My best.
abobader

Postby Jarrod on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:54 am

abobader: Thanks for the feature request. You can now span a single file across multiple episodes.

I have edited the first post with more details.
Jarrod

Postby abobader on Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:23 am

Hi Jarrod,

Something wrong with latest build, it only will scan, and popup the series name to match as example:

Lost
Lost

Then that it, will not bring anymore the window to orginze and match "Episodes" and the filesname.

And will save the xml database, and hardly will be anything in it, first build handle the issue better than this build.

Sorry for the bad feedback on this.

My best
abobader

Re: TVMan: TV Episode Database Importer

Postby Myth on Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:44 am

Jarrod wrote:The regular expressions used to scrape content from tv.com can be edited in the settings.xml file.

Works great ( well I've only done a Test using the series 24, seasons 3 & 4 , but still it worked!), so, well done!

1/ Is it possible to download a selection of stills using the regular expressions, or if not, then added into the main program?
http://www.tv.com/24/show/3866/photos.html?tag=tabs;pictures

Unfortunately XLobby requires the stills to be added to each episode, all other info seems to be able flow down from the parent item, except stills, so you would need to be able to limit the selection somehow [ see http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4327 ]

2/ Could the program 1st scan the existing xml, and only update missing info?

Thanks
Myth
Myth

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:46 pm

Ok tested it finally... This is great, i see u have devoted some time and effort for this.

Ok now few wishes:

- Drag and drop (or swap) of files on the episode rows.
- Possibility to optionally leave episode specific coverart empty (episode number)... cause my ZPd player plugin can automaticly save screenshot as coverart, but it only does that if field is empty...

also, this is not biggie but i noticed few season were left out and this was because folder names were "SeasonX" (typed without space), like i said no biggie i changed foldernames and run it again.

Ok im off to trying to do TV-episodes screen...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Jarrod on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. When trying to fix the multiple shows found bug, I also noticed the other problem already pointed out where the season folder had to be named 'season ##'. This has already been fixed and now allows 'season ##', 'season##', 's##' and 's ##'. All case-insensitive. This can also be added to in the settings.xml 'seasonRegex' element.

I havent released this new version yet, but will be tomorrow once I add a few more of those requested features :)

Keep the feedback coming!
Last edited by Jarrod on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarrod

Postby abobader on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Jarrod,

It working after renaming some foders from "Season 01" to "Season 1", still the program freaz and hang when reading from newtwork share files, it work with some and forze on the others, still have to find why.

This post not regarding bug issue tho, it about suggestion if that possible:

When matching files with episodes as example here:

S01 E09 - Blueprint For Murder <--- Episode
09 - columbo S01E09.mpg <--- Filename

Is it possible an option be add it to rename the file as example above to:

09 - Blueprint For Murder S01E09.mpg

My best.
abobader

Postby Jarrod on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:05 am

I was going to add a file renaming option eventually. I hate the way some of my tv episodes are named, and having the title in all of them would be nice, so sure :)

I will make it so that it is similar to the way some mp3 tagging software works, where you can enter variables such as %title% %epnum% %season% etc and it will rename based on any format you give it.

Sound good?
Jarrod

Postby abobader on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:52 am

Jarrod wrote:I was going to add a file renaming option eventually. I hate the way some of my tv episodes are named, and having the title in all of them would be nice, so sure :)

I will make it so that it is similar to the way some mp3 tagging software works, where you can enter variables such as %title% %epnum% %season% etc and it will rename based on any format you give it.

Sound good?

Sound Great!

Many thanks Jarrod for putting time in these issue, well done!

My best.
abobader

NEW VERSION - v0.3

Postby Jarrod on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:01 pm

New version uploaded - Version 0.3

Change log:
- Added ability to turn on/off built-in episode coverart
- Added file renaming, see first post for more details
- Added drag n drop for episode listing, see first post for more details
- Added ability to modify regex for season folder name matching
- Added save all settings to settings.xml on scan start
- Added load all settings on program startup
- Fixed a few minor bugs
- Added more error handling (errors logged to log.txt)

ToDo:
- Add feature to do an update scan and full scan
- Add feature to download stills

How should this 'still images' information be added? Anyone want to walk me through their thoughts on what options would be needed?
Jarrod

Next