Project P3rvette

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Re: Project P3rvette

Postby balemon on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:29 pm

This may be a silly suggestion, but what if you got a light colored fingernail polish, or model paint and coated the buttons. You could do some simple testing and find the one that lets through enough light. Once you have got it tight just coat it with a clear enamel every now and then.....
Hope this isn't a to far out suggestion.

Cheers
balemon

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:59 pm

I could just imagine P3rv's pickup line:

"Hey baby...come in my P3rv mobile and paint my buttons :wink:"
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:47 am

Marbles_00 wrote:I could just imagine P3rv's pickup line:

"Hey baby...come in my P3rv mobile and paint my buttons :wink:"

Indeed... cant wait for the summer :D

I decided to carry on with project and worry about LED prob later... or who knows mayby i just go with double ray-bans 8) 8)
Attachments
behindperv.JPG
Can u tell color of her panties? luckily im too fast for shoulder surfers...
driversview.JPG
drivers view (xlobby site, spoiled by cam flash)
DVC00085.JPG
Finished installation
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby samgreco on Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:00 am

Very nicely done! You really do good work.
samgreco

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Yeah im quite happy how it turned out aestheticly, considering that materials were only junk i found lying around garage and it was my first time installing something in car panel. Certainly exceeded my expectations, but now its time to knock wood however, project is far from done...

... next phase will be installing HVAC-unit on its new place which is occupied by ashtray now, that means i have to cut the panel bezel... and theres zillion ways for me to fuck it up... crossing my fingers and hoping for best.

Besides on monitor installation theres still some flaws... stick hit remain albeit small, bezels upmost part denies monitor to turn into optimal angle, and stupid LED problem. Mayby putting monitor down a little but tilting it upwards could solve two first ones, but for now i think ill move onwards and get back to it later...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:04 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:I've also been messing around with a DVB-S PCI card so I've spent alot of time on some fta forums...learning what I can.

If u have found some good informative links dont be shy to share them, i think i handle basic dish systems pretty well, but it never harms to deepen ones knowledge.

currently i have short in my setup somewhere... been lazy to hunt it down, well gotta do it before f1 season starts...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:
I've also been messing around with a DVB-S PCI card so I've spent alot of time on some fta forums...learning what I can.

If u have found some good informative links dont be shy to share them, i think i handle basic dish systems pretty well, but it never harms to deepen ones knowledge.

Nah....I'm really green when it comes to fta. I'm just learning what Nagra2, softcam, keys, emunation, vplug are and used for...I mean it, really green stuff. Been going to ftatalk, and dvbn forum sites. ftatalk is mainly geared for N.A. sats, but I think dvbn is pretty worldwide. Wish I knew how to program so when updated ECM's hit, I wouldn't have to rely on someone else to come out with an updated plugin.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:17 am

I finished reinstalling HVAC to new place another day. As i thought it i got so mad for myself for being such a sheep first, why on earth would i have to be able to restore car to its original condition?? :shock: Im for one not certainly going to remove the computer ever besides if i ever would sell it, why would i care if new owner would like stock or not... (S)he can always order new one from Bowling Green's asembly plant if (s)he has prob with the ashtray gone or quit the damn cigs. Like i would spend my time and money to cater wishes of hypotetical future owners... angry at myself i got into work.

Oh well theres before/after pic of my hard labor... i know ashtray replacement for HVAC unit is not too pretty aestheticly, but it seems to be rather commonplace, if u go search vette pics with aftermarket installations from web, i bet u r gonna encounter few of these... will do for me. allthough ideas for improvement are always welcome.

Next in store on the project will be asembly of comp itself, memory should arrive anyday now... and drawing wirings under carpet from monitor to back booth.
Attachments
befaft.JPG
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby scottw on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm

You did a sweet job...it looks great.

Also any respectable Corvette owner should not be smoking in it anyway :lol: :lol:

Outstanding job, I am jealous.
scottw

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:08 pm

scottw wrote:Also any respectable Corvette owner should not be smoking in it anyway :lol: :lol:

Well try to make that part to register on my ex, shes particularly thickheaded, so ull be hard pressed to believe that only part of her roots lies in Bosnia. Besides trust me its not in your best interest to tell "nema pusenje" (no smoking) to a serbgirl... if u catch the drift. well i guess only D does, but then again mayby its the best, so cheap are my jokes today :D

Anyway im bit sorry about so much thread space with simple DIN installation, which i believe is rather trivial to many of u. Reason really was that it was pretty alien to me, im computing/networking geek not a petrol head. Was really my first dash installation ever and as such huge learning experience so i got bit over excited... now on ill continue to computer installation and hopefully eventually FreeLobby car setup, so more on subject matter of this board... bear with bear :)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:36 pm

lpg wrote:Looks Great Bear keep us updated. Did you run into any unexpected problems yet?

Speaking about unexpected probs... i just noticed that mobo disc came with termite holes in it :shock:

Im pretty confident though that contents are downloadable from net too... :?
Attachments
termites.JPG
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Ok memory came so i made firsts test with the comp, as u can see in the pic mobo is classic VIA EPIA MII10000 and right of it is as classic M1-ATX PSU, so far i havent test PSU yet, im using regular AC->DC PSU to provide juice for table top tests.As mentioned before i eventually plan to make a crossbreed of WIN XP home edition and XPe and boot it from compact flash, for now though i will go with regular XP home installation on HDD cause mobo isnt afaik able to boot from integrated CF slot :( without replacing BIOS. Ill need to do more research how can i achieve OS on CF, in meantime ill keep things simple.
Attachments
comp.JPG
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3B3 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:52 am

Sorry about long queitness about project... was not really my fault though i was waiting for harddisk... what should have been 3 days wait, turned out to take almost a month... yeah whatta great country we have up here north in polar bears arse... times like these i wish id live in germany or states...

After 2 weeks i started to ask where the f0ck is my harddrive... and answer was "sorry, we accidently havent handled your order yet" WTF??!!!!

Anyways finally got the hardrive, put it in my tablet and recycled tablets drive for carputer... fresh windows installation works beautifully. I had no problems with motherboard drivers, that swiss cheese cd miracly works ok but also drivers are all available at VIA site.

Thats more u can say about nokia... I had planned to redraft my ancient D211 back to service. To be used as covert on-car network connection while im not in the car providing better service with more recent cell technology... meaning tracking incase of theft. Also D211 would provide Wifi without need for separate dongle. All sweet but it turns out that drivers on disc are not up to the task... and nokia wont provide new drivers without freaking IMEI... thats a big problem cause i ditched box ages ago, or if i didnt its not atleast nowhere to be found... and imei and mac on back of the card have frictioned away years ago... gee how could they expect something to stick on backside of the cardbus card. ITs almost like nokia would have no intension to serve their customers... it was freaking 500€ card back in the day... luckily two of my friends bought the card sametime so after a call up i had friends imei on my disposal... and after few minutes of installing new drivers card was up and running... P3rvette says: hello world! :D
P3B3

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Is there any other lucky Phoco owner here?

Cause our beloved phonecontrol is going bye-bye, i will first concentrate my efforts to get it working and hopefully even integrated to XL (calls for new plugin), but there are couple hurdles for me to cross even before i can get started... first i dont have phoco files anymore cause of late harddrive crashes, i wonder if theyre still downloadable somewhere? luckily i was able to recover my serial key from mail heap... damn i must have gone trough few thousand emails today... secondly i think my license is tied to hardware on my tablet, im wonderin what is Zorans policy, whether i can reinstall it to carputer? I asked these question from Zoran (developer) too via support request but we all know how much he likes to be pestered with basic questions...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Phoco problem has relieved itself somewhat as i was able to spot and salvage phoco 1.7 installer from broken drive. Now im just waiting to Zorro reply if license transfer is ok and what kinda procedure is needed to accomplish it. In meanwhile...

... I got a little creative spur and started to generate idea and concept for P3rvette skin Ive decided color scheme will be black and white, with grays and red. Influences will be original skin of Centrafuse CarPC frontend and NFS-carbon besides obvious Corvette theme.

I use to like simple static nature of centrafuse skin layout, which were especially suitable and safe for car use... honestly at 160mph u wanna be able to use your touchscreen without getting your eyes out of the road. I never understanded why did they abandoned that awesome design and went with totally plain lame design which u can have 20 in a dozen, not to mention dynamic and dangeros, that was moment i get totally alienated by that frontend. Anyway that static design is one i wanna transfer to p3rvette skin. They use to also have stunning looks, thats the part i have to abandon however... we cant all be Rikas.

NFS-carbon is game a play whenever i miss brazil... as soon as its on i feel im back there again, im gonna have some tribal designs on P3rvettes skin as per vinyls of the game, also carbon background will be homage to the game.

Skin of P3rvette will be called CHAOS which stands for "Computing Hails Automotive Operating System" ofcourse Xlobby skin hardly is an OS, but the thing is at endusers perspective it might as well be.

I already quickly build up preliminary splash screen comments about it and design goals and styles will be aprociated. Ofcourse its nice to have positive comments but critic is always more useful and i really like to do best skin i can... (as said we cant all be Rikas)

And finally i wanna thank our own Sharp for awesome freelobby site! If we all put as much effort to our beloved frontend, im sure we can enjoy it years to come.

EDIT: forgot to mention that skin is designed for 800x480 thats native resolution of thermaltake unit, if my network sources are correct.
Attachments
DVC00139.JPG
i have no clue why i used cam instead of screenshot. DUH!!
P3rv3rt B3ar

PreviousNext