Move from one screen to another

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Move from one screen to another

Postby greyjackal on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm struggling to get my head around how things work in skins so thought I'd chose a particular example to illustrate what I'm trying to understand.

I'm using Steven's "Default" skin, ie the new ish one - blue background, gold boxes etc - "Simplicity" on the splash screen etc.

I've duplicated the Movies screen for a recorded TV section, changed the database etc all, well and good, I get my TV series coming up as per the database and file structure on the disk.

Thus :

Now...as things stand, if I click on one of those series, I then get a choice of seasons and then within there a choice of episodes. All fine and dandy. However, due to the nature of the screen, these are all within the same visual object and are all the same size. It's dynamic within that TV screen if you see what I mean - presumably there's some filtering going on.

What I would like to do (and this is where those banner shaped images come in in that screenshot for BSG and Farscape) is have an intial screen for series selection, then a separate one for season, then yet another one for individual episodes. Basically I want the freedom to lay out these various steps in different ways, visually.

I can't figure out how to move from one screen to another and retain my "level", if you like, in the hierarchy. Simply changing screens puts me back to the top, series level.

Any thoughts/pointers?

Cheers.

(oh ignore the fact the skin looks a bit wonky anyway - I copied my XL install onto this PC to try and sort this - my HTPC runs widescreen)
greyjackal

Postby greyjackal on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Actually, I've got it.

Always the way - try everything you can think of, post about it, THEN figure it out :D

Although I do have one minor hiccup and that's returning from the episode listings to the season listings. For season -> tv shows, ie the top level, I've changed the "back one level" button to go to the first screen and clear the filters.

However, for the middle level, although I can go direct to the screen, I need to retain the tv show filter. Any ideas?
greyjackal