Definition of home theatre, where do u guys draw a line?

Speak your mind

Definition of home theatre, where do u guys draw a line?

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 24, 2006 2:07 am

Hasn't really nothing to do with XLobby.

But one thing which has been anoying me since i became hometheatre hobbyist in last millenia is that people call very varied configurations with term home theatre. Actually pretty much nothing annoys me more than somebody introducing his "home theatre" with 36" widescreen tv. Its like calling "ghetto blaster" hi-fi.

Personally my definition of HT is pretty simple:

If there isn't projection it ain't home theatre.

But what do you guys think. Where do u draw line, what is home theatre to u?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Colby on Wed May 24, 2006 3:37 am

I believe my 52" LCD TV and 7.1 merantz surround sound to be home theater. I no longer go to the theater, I stay home. If I hooked up an old reel to reel projector I suppose that would be more authentic, but I believe my setup is much sweeter. Curious: why does it annoy you when people have meager setups? What does it matter? Why draw a line? My SUV has home theater too. And that doesnt even make since.
Colby

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 24, 2006 3:47 am

Colby wrote:I believe my 52" LCD TV and 7.1 merantz surround sound to be home theater. I no longer go to the theater, I stay home. If I hooked up an old reel to reel projector I suppose that would be more authentic, but I believe my setup is much sweeter. Curious: why does it annoy you when people have meager setups? What does it matter? Why draw a line? My SUV has home theater too. And that doesnt even make since.

Its not size that counts. I just like things called with their names. And "SUV-theatre" wouldnt be home theatre even if u have HUD-display (which counts as projection) simply for the fact that its not quite home. For me its mobile media center... mobile theater if its HUD based.

EDIT: this is just what i think... but theaterwise only use to that 52" telly of yours would be hang it upright position on wall and have xlobby show now playing movie poster on it. And yet that telly of yours costs more than my projector, is really not about meagerness, but meaning of concepts.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jowaldo on Wed May 24, 2006 4:07 am

really it comes down to being a buzz word.. and like most products today buzz/hype is more than 50% of the product :(

basically if you have more than two speakers and they are built into the tv and you have a dvd player its guaranteed to be called "home theater" anymore :?

But yeah to me you need a minimum of a 42" HD screen and at least a 5.1 setup thats not a "home theater in a box"

all of it though i think is up to interpretation ;)
jowaldo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 24, 2006 4:15 am

jowaldo wrote:really it comes down to being a buzz word.. and like most products today buzz/hype is more than 50% of the product :(

basically if you have more than two speakers and they are built into the tv and you have a dvd player its guaranteed to be called "home theater" anymore :?

Yes that is exactly what i meant...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Wed May 24, 2006 7:40 am

By definition of sellers, if it has a SCREEN, if it has 5+1 sound and (at least) a DVD player, it's labeled as home theater (at least in shops)....
dalanik

Postby rembetis on Wed May 24, 2006 12:02 pm

If semantic accuracy is such a big priority for you, I'd say focus on more egregiously misused terms like "Democracy," "U.S. Justice Department," and "Military Intelligence." :roll:
rembetis

Postby dalanik on Wed May 24, 2006 12:23 pm

rembetis wrote:If semantic accuracy is such a big priority for you, I'd say focus on more egregiously misused terms like "Democracy," "U.S. Justice Department," and "Military Intelligence." :roll:

:-)
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 24, 2006 1:07 pm

rembetis wrote:If semantic accuracy is such a big priority for you, I'd say focus on more egregiously misused terms like "Democracy," "U.S. Justice Department," and "Military Intelligence." :roll:

Oh dont get me started.... i used to live next block to belgrades TV-station, bombed by states... when u see things like that u defenetely form a opinion about those concepts... but i would rather stick to htpcs here...

EDIT: wasnt living there while bombs drop... but later... yet in time to realise the insanity of all that warmongering.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby dalanik on Wed May 24, 2006 1:51 pm

Are you from Belgrade?
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 24, 2006 2:10 pm

dalanik wrote:Are you from Belgrade?

No, I'm finn but i used to have serb gf and lived in belgrade for a while. I really liked the city... especially skadarlja :P
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby art on Wed May 24, 2006 2:47 pm

To me, it all depends on the size of the room, I just hate watching movies from the first row in the theater :) , so having some 100'' screen in a small room would not work either.
art

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 24, 2006 3:39 pm

art wrote:To me, it all depends on the size of the room, I just hate watching movies from the first row in the theater :) , so having some 100'' screen in a small room would not work either.

I think in smaller cinemas first row is best place in house. In biggest cines however i dont like first row too much... not because picture size but cause u have to look so much up.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby mzemina on Wed May 24, 2006 3:58 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
art wrote:To me, it all depends on the size of the room, I just hate watching movies from the first row in the theater :) , so having some 100'' screen in a small room would not work either.

I think in smaller cinemas first row is best place in house. In biggest cines however i dont like first row too much... not because picture size but cause u have to look so much up.

I like the first row of the elevated section. The very front is like Art said (looking up) but the elevated section (of my favorite theater) you are up about 3-4 feet and has a handrail I can put my feet up on. Very nice.
mzemina

Postby art on Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:I think in smaller cinemas first row is best place in house.

For small, that maybe true and it probably depends more on the person and his/her preference, but once I tried watching some action movie from the first row and all I can remember is this pain in my neck from trying to follow the action from left to right, I don't even remember the title ... :D
art

Next