EPG as Plugin

Got an idea, post it here

EPG as Plugin

Postby lar282 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:19 am

Hi Steven
I was wondering if its not better if u broke out the code of the EPG and made a plugin(and the source code) out of it. Then everybody can do whatever they want with it or use the EPG that Carm is gonna incorporate with ctpvr.
Your epg isn't done and u said yourself that u aren't gonna make a tvplugin, so what do u think.
I bet there is alot of people that got special needs and this way u can make them happy.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby badubo on Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:12 am

I don't understand what will be the benefits to have it as an external plugin?
(At least with the actual plugin SDK) : plugins are less powerfull than internal objects.
As an exemple, with a plugin, you cannot create visual objects in which you can navigate as if you where in a normal screen. With such lack of feature the EPG will become useless.

Your idea is great if Steven change a big part of the SDK in order to allow plugins to becomes real object with navigations capabilities. Some months ago, I asked this feature :wink:
badubo

Postby lar282 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:24 am

Your are probably right. If thats the case I request what u said.
lar282

Postby rika on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:50 pm

I think the problem is the epg module it self. If it had functions like search, scheduler and so on i think tv-plugins would come.

In my opinion this is the last big module to make xlobby perfect...
Rika
rika

Postby ComputerTimeCO on Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:24 pm

rika wrote:I think the problem is the epg module it self. If it had functions like search, scheduler and so on i think tv-plugins would come.

I believe the reason why TV plugins are not being created a plenty is because they are really difficult to develope especially as a plugin. You're going to have some limitations compared to seperate external app. I already have a TV app developed that has taken a great deal of time to get working as a plugin inside of Xlobby. Even with all my efforts so far it is still limited compared to my seperate TV app.

Regards,
Carm.
ComputerTimeCO

Postby badubo on Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:36 pm

Exactly the same for me, I develop a generic plugin for TV applications (actually for software based and DVB cards). And the problem is that you cannot access all features of TV app (mainly due to a lack of bidirectionnal communication)
badubo

Postby rika on Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:08 pm

I haven’t tried to write any tv-plugins but I can understand it’s complexity. But if xlobbys epg can do some of the hard work then not that skilled guys like my self :? , just can send comandelines from the epg´s scheduler and xmltv-guide to our favourite tv-app. :)
rika