Restart Winamp?

Help each other out

Restart Winamp?

Postby jace055 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi there!

I have been using xLobby for almost a year now. But I have run into a problem. I start an external program with the os cal and everything goes great. However, The program that I start closes all open instances of winamp so when I return to xlobby the built in music player function does not work. If I were to restart winamp manually, Xlobby still wont play audio until I exit and restart. Is there a way for xlobby to restart winamp or a xlobby command to restart it?

Thanks
jace055

Re: Restart Winamp?

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Just trying to understand your dilema a little more. This program...why does it need to close winamp? If so, could you use Foobar, so this program doesn't close it? In other words, is it only controlling winamp?
Marbles_00

Postby jace055 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 pm

I am starting freebox jukebox software. I think freebox uses Media player. I thought there might be an easy way to restart the winamp session rather than to ask the writer of freebox to leave the session of winamp open.

I know that xlobby has jukebox built in and it is really nice and it functions perfectly thats why I would like to keep the winamp session open. I have been using the xlobby version since I installed the in-wall touchscreen but I was looking for something different without having to rewrite the entire jukebox screen.

BTW I am using a modified version of the colbySKIN 2 theme. Is there a skin with a more traditional looking jukebox screen I could put into my colby skin? i guess I want something sleaker with less buttons and a jump to letter option. like that in freebox. I can't get the damn artwork to show up anyway in freebox.

ps. 1 more problem (last one I promise)... when i select an album the overlay will pop up with the art and the tracks. Some of the albums show a blank spot where the track should be. The blank can still be clicked and the proper song loaded though.

Example...
1. Song title one
2. Song title two

4. Song title Four
5. Song title five
jace055

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:21 am

I thought there might be an easy way to restart the winamp session

No, as you have now seen, once Xlobby looses default control, you can't get it back unless you do a restart. Now there are other ways of getting control of a rogue Winamp, and that is by sending window messages or command line commands to it. Though you still have lost feedback, and playlist control. Chances are the developer of Freebox would be reluctant to take this sort of control out of his software. He wants his software to primarily control the computers sound output. Too bad as if he left other players alone, and you had multiple soundcards, then you could assign Freebox to the primary sound card, and then assign winamp to the secondary soundcard.

But in the end, if Xlobby can do pretty much everything that Freebox can do, then why use Freebox?

Is there a skin with a more traditional looking jukebox screen I could put into my colby skin?

There's a skin called Sid's Jukebox which is pretty cool. I don't know how simple it would be to integrate into another skin, but standalone, it is a really great skin. You can download it from Sharp's google pages (find a post of Sharp_1, his google pages are linked in his signature), as the link on the Xlobby/Download/Skin page didn't work for me.

ps. 1 more problem (last one I promise)... when i select an album the overlay will pop up with the art and the tracks. Some of the albums show a blank spot where the track should be. The blank can still be clicked and the proper song loaded though.

Example...
1. Song title one
2. Song title two

4. Song title Four
5. Song title five

This sounds as though you have a tagging issue. Check your tags using a tag editor. I like Tag n' Rename and the Godfather. There are plenty of them to choose. I don't usually muck too much with v1 tags...more like I clear them and just mess with the later tagging scheme.

Hope that helps.
Marbles_00

Postby jace055 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks for all of your help. It's great to see help on these boards after the program went so "big". I didn't find out about it until the betas started expiring and there was a full version upgrade available but at the time I didn't know if thats what I wanted to do.

I was looking into freebox as an easy way out of a bunch of reskining. I guess I am going to try to intergrate some of the other jukebox screens or ideas from them into my screens.

Marbles- are your zone screens compatible with the older free version of xlobby? I would like to do some zone audio in the house.
jace055

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:40 am

Marbles- are your zone screens compatible with the older free version of xlobby? I would like to do some zone audio in the house.

I'm only using the free version too...so...yeah, I guess they are compatible :wink:
Marbles_00