More for the experts... (PPC related)

Help each other out

More for the experts... (PPC related)

Postby WannaTheater on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Is there any significance in screen names beginning with ppc?
I know they are for PPC screens, but are they somehow correlated to the "normal" screens?

For instance, I have two screens named "movieplayer" and "ppcmovieplayer"
Do I need to create 2 event versions depending on which mode (ppc or regular) that I am running in?
i.e. goto:movieplayer and goto:ppcmovieplayer events

I've always had the impression that there was something internal to XLobby to keep the user from having to create 2 sets of events for the same functions
WannaTheater

Re: More for the experts... (PPC related)

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:06 pm

I think the naming convention comes into play if you have mimic turned on. This way, it knows which screen should mimic which screen. If you don't use that, I don't think it matters. But you do need seperate events, as they are actually seperate screens.

So, the menu button for Movies on your main xLobby would have the event goto:movies and the menu button on your ppc xLobby would have the event goto:ppcmovies, etc
cmhardwick

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:26 pm

So, the menu button for Movies on your main xLobby would have the event goto:movies and the menu button on your ppc xLobby would have the event goto:ppcmovies, etc

Not entirely correct. If you have ppc screens named the same as conventional screens prefixed with "ppc" then you only need one goto event. Example: If you have a goto event that takes you to a music screen called "music", then your event would be:

Code: Select all
goto music

Now if you have a ppc screen named "ppcmusic", then you can use the same goto event defined above, and you don't need additional events for PPC control
Marbles_00

Postby WannaTheater on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:43 pm

So it only works for a "Goto Screen" event?
WannaTheater

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:55 pm

I'm pretty sure it works for almost all event/commands in which you call on a screen with a corresponding ppc screen. The goto command is the most used, common command that is screen dependent, where one would associate with both a main screen and accompany ppc screen.

Now when you turn on mimic, and set mimic to "true" in your thin client then commands like the goto command will effect both the thin client and server machine. The one issue with mimic if I recall, is that it doesn't support opening of overlays. If you goto an overlay in your thin client, it will not follow on the server.
Marbles_00

Postby WannaTheater on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 pm

I will test it out to see if "screenname" and "ppcscreenname" also works for opening of overlays (as well as goto commands)
WannaTheater

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:01 am

I did not realize that marbles, sorry for the confusion. I've been doing it the hard way then! (big surprise hehehe)
cmhardwick

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:34 am

Yeah, I would do it the long way too...then I often wondered why the great skinners never had goto events for ppc screens, even one of Buddabing's skins had "client_" screen names as well as ppc screen, and I don't think he had separate commands for those either.
Marbles_00