event control for the music thumbnails?

Help each other out

event control for the music thumbnails?

Postby brucek2 on Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:23 am

Hi, first time user here, please go easy on me.

I'm hoping to use Xlobby to build a music jukebox with my touch screen. Meaning, there's no mouse, no keyboard. The only reliable controls are pushing fat buttons.

On the music screen, there are thumbnails of the cover art. When I press one, the current behavior seems to be to:
1) display large album art for 1-2 seconds;
2) delete the current playlist;
3) add entire album to playlist;

What I'd like to have happen is simply:
1) change the song browser to show the songs from this album

Is there a way to make this happen? I looked at the skin editor but I couldn't find an event for the thumbnails.

More generally, is there anyone here who's already built a touchscreen music jukebox using Xlobby? I'd love to trade notes with you. Thanks!
brucek2

Postby MFan on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:53 pm

brucek2,

I have built some screens to control my music via a ppc. All controls are via touching the creen. So this can be done. Are there any specifics you wish to cover?

Don
MFan

Postby brucek2 on Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:01 am

Thanks MFan. It's a huge confidence booster just to know that it is possible. Now that I know I won't be wasting my time, I'll put more effort in to learning the skin editor to see what can be accomplished. I may have some questions once I get my hands dirty. Thanks!
brucek2

Wow, this is going to be great

Postby brucek2 on Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:13 am

Spent some time playing with the skin editor... I am very impressed! I think it will be easy & fun to make some very spiffy screens with this.

I'm still stuck on my original question though. On the default music skin, I've now figured out the three buttons on the left hand bottom control what action will happen when the user clicks on an album (play it, add it, or open it in the other screen.) Is there any way I can make up a 4th action, for do nothing except display the tracks from that album in the track listing on the right hand side?

Where in the skin editor (or even the raw XML) is the behavior specified for what happens when an album thumbnail is clicked on?
brucek2

Postby MFan on Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:31 pm

brucek2,

Regarding your specific question, I see what you are getting at now. You want the ability to display the album contents on the current screen when you click on an album, rather than going to another screen to see the album contents. I will have to look into this, as I suspect others will also. It seems likely that we can come up with a solution. But if not, you may have to go to an overlay for this.

More later (hopefully).

Don
MFan

Postby MFan on Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:44 pm

brucek2,

Try this. When in the music page, open up the skin editor and go to the Edit Category tab. Change the info screen to Music (or whatever your page name is for your music page). If you do this and mouse click on an album. it remains on the music with the album contents showing on the right pane. See if this works with a touch to the touchscreen - besure to have the open button selected..

Hope this works - I don't have a fullsized monitor with touchscreen to test it on.

Don
MFan

Postby brucek2 on Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:49 am

Eureka! I don't understand how or why that works... but it did! Thanks a bunch.
brucek2

Postby Colby on Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:03 am

Bruce I have a working mp3 touchscreen jukebox like what youre trying to build. And I have a skin, that will do what you want. Ill be willing to give you and any advice as to building it. Come to the Chat sometime and I can get you hooked up.
Colby