configuring xlobby to use mplayer

title says it all

configuring xlobby to use mplayer

Postby fake1719 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:33 pm

Sorry for asking a newbie question but I searched for "mplayer" in the forums and I couldn't find an answer to my basic question about setup.

Could someone please help me get xlobby to play my videos with mplayer? I have gotten very close, but I cannot make the last leap to see actual video playing on the screen; mplayer launches (I see the DOS window pop up for a few seconds and disappear) but no video.
My "File Types" parameters:
Program: C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe (correct path for my setup)
Extensions: pva,mpg,wma,wmv,asf,mpeg,ifo,avi,iso,img,video_ts
Command Line Switches: "%path%"
If I execute the command-line (from a "DOS" window):
C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe -fs "C:\Movies\My Test Video.pva"
I get my full-screen video just like I expect to see. So I know that I have mplayer working and the video file is valid...

What am I doing wrong?
Also, the movies database scanner doesn't seem to pick-up my PVA files as valid movies. Can I configure xlobby to find PVA files? Currently I have two (2) .MPG files and one (1) .PVA file in a my "movies" folder. When I do a scan for the database (via "Databases -> movies -> refresh" or "Basic -> Movies Paths -> Import") I see a dialog that says it found 1 video but it doesn't show the file name and it doesn't find all 3 of my movies. I would be happy to debug the thing, where do I start? Is there an extra parameter I need to add when I launch xlobby or is there a debug log being created somewhere?
fake1719

Re: configuring xlobby to use mplayer

Postby mentat on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:37 pm

fake1719 wrote:My "File Types" parameters:
Program: C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe (correct path for my setup)
Extensions: pva,mpg,wma,wmv,asf,mpeg,ifo,avi,iso,img,video_ts
Command Line Switches: "%path%"
If I execute the command-line (from a "DOS" window):
C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe -fs "C:\Movies\My Test Video.pva"
I get my full-screen video just like I expect to see. So I know that I have mplayer working and the video file is valid...

Passing the %path% CLS is like launching the program as:
C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe -fs "C:\Movies\"
Try the %parameter% command line switch instead.

fake1719 wrote:Also, the movies database scanner doesn't seem to pick-up my PVA files as valid movies. Can I configure xlobby to find PVA files? Currently I have two (2) .MPG files and one (1) .PVA file in a my "movies" folder. When I do a scan for the database (via "Databases -> movies -> refresh" or "Basic -> Movies Paths -> Import") I see a dialog that says it found 1 video but it doesn't show the file name and it doesn't find all 3 of my movies. I would be happy to debug the thing, where do I start? Is there an extra parameter I need to add when I launch xlobby or is there a debug log being created somewhere?

You should organise your movies in a directory structure like this: C:\Movies\My Test Video\My Test Video.pva
Every movie file should be placed in its own folder (where you can put also coverart, stills, subtitles, etc.)
If you feel uncomfortable with this setup you can change the database template: Databases -> Import, select "movies" in "Import To DB" and "videos" in "Template". In the same tab add "pva" in the field "Extensions" (do this anyway, also if you use the movies template with the directory structure mentioned above). Then press "Import".

Hope it helps.
mentat

Postby fake1719 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Thank you very much for the information mentat, you were right on all accounts!
For prosperity, remember to put the %parameter% in quotes!
-fs "%parameter%"
and it works great! (this is more of a reminder for myself for some day when I have to set this all up again).

Thanks mentat!
fake1719