for devs: Will u move on or stay?

related to programming for xlobby, code samples, examples etc.

After paylobby release will u most likely be developing for?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:03 pm

Freelobby
75%
Paylobby
25%
Some other FE
No votes

Total votes : 12

for devs: Will u move on or stay?

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:03 pm

Its highly likely that paylobby and freelobby will be somewhat different SDK and otherwise... so which one do u think ull plugin will fit best?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: for devs: Will u move on or stay?

Postby defrag on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:28 pm

You missed the "both" option!!!

If things go well and we all migrate - then new, if it's a split move and I move as well then both... otherwise free unless anything better comes my way, which is unlikely!!!

Considering that external players will handle new formats if and when they appear, free xnet works for me fine with my free clients what more can the new version offer? It has to be pretty darn good or cheap to make me switch.

OR!!!! Calrad pay us for plugin dev :lol: :lol: :lol:
defrag

Postby lar282 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:27 pm

pay version depending on the price. If its to steep I will keep on using the perfect setup I got now.
lar282

Postby dalanik on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 pm

If pay Xlobby is too expensive, I'll just stick with free Xlobby until I can find something other cheap or free :-) Have you guys seen linuxmce? Looks very very promising!

http://linuxmce.com/
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&hl=en

D.
dalanik

Postby defrag on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:26 pm

dalanik wrote:Have you guys seen linuxmce? Looks very very promising!

Mmmmmm! Time to create a new partition!!! Worth a play at least.
defrag

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:25 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Do we even have 11 developers :shock:
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby jowaldo on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:39 pm

dalanik wrote:If pay Xlobby is too expensive, I'll just stick with free Xlobby until I can find something other cheap or free :-) Have you guys seen linuxmce? Looks very very promising!

http://linuxmce.com/

D.

That is pretty slick... but from what I can see tho it doesn't look like you can customize the UI much at all (I could be wrong)

That's what keeps me stickin with xlobby
jowaldo

Postby defrag on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:03 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:Do we even have 11 developers :shock:

OK hands up those that can code... No Mr B3ar, only one hand please :lol:
defrag

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:08 pm

That is pretty slick... but from what I can see tho it doesn't look like you can customize the UI much at all (I could be wrong)

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Crea ... r_LinuxMCE

Can't download the "Designers User Manual"...says I'm forbidden...

Overall I have thought about dropping xlobby for some Linux equvilent...but figured I'd have to learn the OS as well...this takes that all away...and appears to be very powerful. I'm just trying to figure out, just how powerful the "Core" computer has to be, as well as each "Media Director"....oh, found it here:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/What ... _will_need

For sure this could be a front runner, should I drop xlobby.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:40 am

everything depends on price...

if i can (and the plugin interface still makes sense) i will probably go pay lobby.
S Pittaway

Postby art on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:40 pm

S Pittaway wrote:everything depends on price...

…. and that’s the key, everything else is just pure speculation …
art

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 pm

dalanik wrote: Have you guys seen linuxmce? Looks very very promising!

D.

Yeah i saw some demo video or something on utube or somewhere... and although it wasnt prolly supposed to be funny I lmao. Somehow i made association with "I have 3 PS3s" video... mayby its just my brains are running on light weight thread... who knows :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby BaddaBing on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Dalanik, thanks for the information! I really had not been keeping up with the various HTPC front ends lately so thanks for bringing this to my attention. LinuxMCE looks incredibly promising. The hardware requirements are much higher than XL, in order to reproduce the performance on the demo you are looking at an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ CPU, but then the local Fry's Electronics has a AMD 64 3800 with 17" Compaq LCD for $399 in today's paper. I'm running XL on a 4200 dual core as it is so no problems there. And to nip this one before it takes off, yes I understand that we have users in the forum to whom such hardware is out of reach, but seeing that XL has gone commercial, it too (other than the old freeware) is now out of reach as well, so that argument is moot.

But back on subject, the ease of use factor is astounding. It actually looks as easy to use as TIVO, which my wife, who is totally nontechnical and gadget adverse, loves. I've looked at MYTHTV before but always hesitated because of the LINUX requirement. LinuxMCE removes that by providing a single DVD installer that essentailly hides the underlying operating system and makes the PC perform like a dedicated commercial product. If the guided setup and configuration is even half of what it appears to be in the demo I'll be thrilled.

One feature that really stood out was the "follow me" function. By the use of thin clients you can move from room to room and have your media, be it TV, Movie or Music, follow you from room to room and even automatically turn off the equipment in the room you just left. Also impressive was the control hardware supported; everything from on screen displays to webpads and VoIP phones.

One thing that people may complain about is that the user interface looks to be hard coded so no customization there; but it also appears that the developers did a good enough job that it does not need to be changed. Personally I prefer function over fashion so I can live without skinning a.k.a. TIVO. I'm downloading the bittorrent DVD install of LinuxMCE as I write this. If anyone is interested in checking out LinuxMCE for your self here is the link to the LinuxMCE video on google video:
and here is the website
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Main_Page
BaddaBing

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:46 pm

BaddaBing wrote:One thing that people may complain about is that the user interface looks to be hard coded so no customization there; but it also appears that the developers did a good enough job that it does not need to be changed.

Are u freaking kidding me... imho it looks like bear barfed on it! :shock: :shock: :shock:
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby BaddaBing on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:49 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:
BaddaBing wrote:Are u freaking kidding me... imho it looks like bear barfed on it! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one - and they all stink. Your milage may vary...
BaddaBing

Next