Sell me on xlobby

Speak your mind

Sell me on xlobby

Postby Maximo on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:59 pm

This software looks REALLY cool. But I don't know very much about it. I was hoping I could get one of you xlobby experts to answer some questions for me. I am geeting ready to rebuild my HTPC. I use it for HD DVR, Gaming, Blu-Ray playback (PDVD), netflix instant watch, and my music collection (this one is super unimportant).

1. Considering that I have a pretty stright forward usage for my HTPC, is there an advantage in using xlobby instead of Vista Media Center?

2. How easy is it to install/configure?

3. When should/can I do the install/configuation? (I am doing a new OS install and want to know if there is a better time then others to put xlobby in

4. Are there/where are tutorials on installation and config?

You guys have a really neat thing here and I want to jump in with both feet. I really need to get a high WAF on this go around with the HTPC.
Maximo

Re: Sell me on xlobby

Postby Maximo on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Another question.

Maybe I was mistaken. I thought xlobby was a stand alone HTPC interface. But the download page says that it is not. What hardware is needed for xlobby?
Maximo

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:41 pm

First, welcome to the world of Xlobby.

Others will most likely chime in, but here's my $0.02 (this is solely on the free version):

Are you planning on using the free version of xlobby (which can be downloaded from my link below, or from Sharp's google site), or were you planning on purchasing Calrad equipment with the hopes to get a paid copy? If the latter, then you will have to discuss with Calrad. The free version doesn't require any hardware outside your HTPC to get running...unless you want to add some sort of automation or something.

Realize that xlobby is not responsible for the playback of media, that is left to independent external software. What xlobby does is interfaces this software to its media type via databases/catagories. So in looking at your statement:
I use it for HD DVR, Gaming, Blu-Ray playback (PDVD), netflix instant watch, and my music collection (this one is super unimportant).

If you have the external software that can either be controlled via command line, or by windows messaging, then it can be controlled via xlobby. My current HTPC, I use xlobby which interfaces with DVB Dream for TV/PVR duties, Zoomplayer for movies and videos, winamp for music playback, and eventually either PDVD, or MPC for HD playback. Again, xlobby up front supplies the "eye-candy", while it controls all the other software in the background.

1. Considering that I have a pretty stright forward usage for my HTPC, is there an advantage in using xlobby instead of Vista Media Center?

Now this all depends on what your looking for. If your into tweaking, then xlobby, or mediaportal, or meedios are great for that. I give xlobby the advantage as it has a great skinning engine, and leaves all the media tweaking to the individual player software.

Now if you want something up and running quick, then VMC is most likely the choice to use. But be aware that if you want to perform certain things, then you may be limited in its abilities. HD DVR playback may be one of them.

2. How easy is it to install/configure?

This is a difficult question to answer as everyones requirements are different. If you go with the included skin, or some other simple skin like Buddabing's KISS, or Colby's Blueskin, then you can get something running pretty quick. Also it depends on if you have to setup your external software to run within xlobby. You may have to configure screens, events and buttons to perform particular functions. Configuration difficulties is purely on the user and what he/she wants out of the setup.

3. When should/can I do the install/configuation? (I am doing a new OS install and want to know if there is a better time then others to put xlobby in

Before installing xlobby, you have to have .NET 2 installed, or it won't work. It should also work with .NET 3. Other than that requirement, you can install at any point after installing the OS. I think also for Vista, you have to install xlobby in the root c:/, and not in Program Files.

4. Are there/where are tutorials on installation and config?

If you download the free version from Sharp's site, then he has a small tutorial on how to install the free version. On my xlobby site (link in my signature), I have a document section where there are some tutorials and skinning documents. Sharp also has a pretty similar section on his google site as well. Some of Buddabing's skins also include excellent tutorials on setting up xlobby (most noticably the KISS skin). Though these are geared towards his skins, they have some excellent info on general xlobby setup.

I really need to get a high WAF on this go around with the HTPC.

By no means do I want to deter you from using xlobby. I think it is one of the best HTPC frontends around. Just realize that any third party software of this nature will take a little time to learn, and to configure for your own use. MP and Meedios will also fall into this category.
Marbles_00

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:30 am

That's a really good reply from marbles!

i would answer like this-

1) depends on the type of user you are... You can make xlobby do anything you want (within reason), it is also very easy to change the way it looks...
do you like Vista Media-Centre? If you like the interface maybe its good enuff?

2) if you are used to "playing" with your pc and setting up software xlobby is ok - its not great but you will work it out.
This forum is pretty good and people will help you get it going.
If you normally just insert a CD and press install xlobby is probably not for you...

3) given a choice a would recommend BEFORE you re-install windows :D that way you can play before doing it for real.
But to be honest its a straight forward piece of software so it does not matter. I would say install .net 2, Winamp and ThearterTek or Zoomplayer then put xlobby on.
Maybe you should do a basic install, take a disk image then play with some of the different HTPC apps?

4) you need to "suck it and see" try the install, ask here for help, Personally i would say that if you need a step by step guide xlobby proabbly is NOT the right software.

5) free lobby will run on any windows pc... pay-lobby is hardware only.

Having re-read that it sounds a bit negative - i need to add that i tried all of the different htpc apps BEFORE i settled on xlobby.

For me Xlobby is by far the best app out there!
S Pittaway

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:05 pm

S Pittaway wrote:
For me Xlobby is by far the best app out there!

+1
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby beingblueeyes on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:32 pm

xlobby is the best program out there for the HTPC (my 0.02) I’ve jumped from program to program for my HTPC before coming to xlobby and for ease of install and set up you won’t find a easier or less eye catching program
beingblueeyes

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:08 pm

i'm new to xlobby but QUICKLY picked up the basics.
now i've combined multiple skins and plugins.

i've looked at everything from Mcontrol to Questron systems
none of those programs were as robust (and free) as xlobby

being that i am a programmer by trade, this is a good fit for me. but even if you are not, there is a powerful GUI interface.

simple + forum support = GREAT FUN
billberet