Tutorial: DISPLAY FOLDER IN CATEGORY event

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Postby Russell on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:06 pm

I am trying to get this to work with different screens. This way I could have pg 1 show artists in text, and then pg 2 show albums as pictures and then pg 3 tracks.

Anybody got this working using this feature or the category levels feature?
Russell

Postby Vince_B on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:46 am

nevermind - I had mis-programmed the goto button as a regular goto button instead of the one that was added for me in the category import. Thanks for the tutorial, would'a never figured that out...

Hi guys, I've come back to working on XL after a while away. The category in folder feature is very cool, I think it will help alot with using a remote with XL. I imported the tutorial screen and was playing with it, I noticed what might be a bug or maybe just a skin/screen issue. When I first show the screen, I get only the first column populated and the descriptions are "artist / album". If I click the reset button it immediately fixes the screen so it displays correctly. Is this just me? I imported this into the default skin, don't know if that has anything to do with it. An ideas?
Vince_B

Postby cinOxen on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:34 pm

Did you set the filter on the button that takes you to the screen?
cinOxen

Could this application work in creating a movie selection

Postby Mac on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:57 pm

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question but I wonder if this application could work in creating a movie selection wizard? I would like to select a movie based on certain criteria such runtime, genre, rating, actor, etc. For example, I've got some friends coming over tonight to watch a movie. One of my friends has to be home in two hours, another friend will bring his 14 year old son, and another is a big fan of Harrison Ford. It would be nice to have a search function where I can generate selection of movies that are under 120 minutes runtime, are rated PG-13 or below, starring Harrison Ford, etc.

Using the DVD Profiler database conversion plugin, you would be able to select more specific variables. If I wanted to show off my system, I could search for my movies with DTS not DD, 7 .1 surround not 5.1, anamorphic not full-frame or non-anamorphic.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Mac

Re: Could this application work in creating a movie selectio

Postby Colby on Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:24 pm

Mac wrote:Does anyone know how to do this?

Just a guess, but I think all you have to do is do a search of the database. You input filters, and filter again until you have what you want. As far as using variables for such you could use button inputs and a keyboard overlay or "hard" buttons ie. R, PG, etc.
The tags in the database should be search/filter able. As far as setting up a page to do this, It would take some time, but I think its possible. I filter movies by "hard" genre buttons as it is now.
Colby

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:07 am

Ok solved finally my problem with this... and i dont quite know exactly how. But now i have 3-tier database shown on three separate cats one tier per cat.

Im using this for DVD setup. I have movie db of form:

|-Bravehearth
| |-Audio
| | |-English
| | |-French
| |-Subtitles
| | |-Finnish
| | |-Swedish
| | |-Swahili
|-Bad Boys

so basicly on my movie details page there is cat for audio and subtitles icon and clicking them opens overlay cat from which u can select particular language clickin corresponding flag.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Tutorial: DISPLAY FOLDER IN CATEGORY event

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:02 pm

You can now load the music_category.zip that Baddabing created here.
Last edited by sharp_1 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharp_1

Postby sonofdbn on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:46 am

Thanks, sharp_1 - was just wondering where I could get the file.
sonofdbn

Postby sharp_1 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Instructions are here: http://xlobby.help.googlepages.com/HOWT ... TEGORY.pdf

Download music_category.zip skin example above.

Good luck!!!
sharp_1

Previous