USB-UIRT/Remote/System Standby

Speak your mind

USB-UIRT/Remote/System Standby

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi,

I need to setup a remote to finish of my htpc, i currently use the one which came with my nebula tv card and control the other apps using fake keypresses.

It all works apart from exiting standby, when it goes into stand by, i have to get off my butt to turn it back on...

Am i correct in assuming that if i get USB-UIRT i will be able to do this?

Also, i currently use XLHotkeyPlugin to let the same remote button press have differant actions on differant screens, i take it that i can do the same kind of thing using the usb uirt plubin?

Cheers, Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby vicom on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:06 pm

The standby part you can certainly do it with the USBUIRT, works beautifully(provided your MB supports S3 mode) then using some registry tweaks to enable S3 in XP

I'm unsure of the second part
vicom

Postby galileo2000 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:18 am

USB-UIRT is a wonderful thing, but to wake the C from standby you probably don't need it. If your MB supports "Wake on USB", then your existing remote can wake it up from S3 standby. You probably need to change some jumpers on mb to give USB devices constant 5VSB current.
You need to change the settings in BIOS and in Windows Device Manager to allow your HID (Human Interface Device) to wake the PC from standby.
Before that you need to edit your registry. The following entry needs to be added:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb
"USBBIOSx"=DWORD:00000000

Restart. Check checkboxes for HID devices in Device Manager :"Allow this device to wake computer from standby".

Try at your own risk, I know it works for me. But editing registry is not for everyone, so..
galileo2000

Postby S Pittaway on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:10 pm

the existng remote plugs into the back of a pci card so it does not wake it.
S Pittaway

Postby vicom on Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:44 pm

it will only wake from USB ports from the motherboard and not from add-on USB cards
vicom