DVD Profiler to Xlobby Import Utility

Xlobby plugin development

Re: DVD Profiler to Xlobby Import Utility

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 am

That's what jovial_moods utility does...it just doesn't work inside of xLobby. It's external.
sharp_1

Postby cmhardwick on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:46 am

his utility creates an XLobby file, not a 2.0 export file that xlobby then imports. That's what I'm talking about, a direct conversion to the old DVD pro format that free xLobby can then be pointed to when you refresh the movie database :)
cmhardwick

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:06 pm

jovial_mood:

I am getting a error 91

Any ideas? I'm now on my vista premium PC with net 2.0 loaded.
sharp_1

Postby thekochs on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:57 pm

cmhardwick wrote:his utility creates an XLobby file, not a 2.0 export file that xlobby then imports. That's what I'm talking about, a direct conversion to the old DVD pro format that free xLobby can then be pointed to when you refresh the movie database :)

Sweet...just found this. Guess simplier alternative that Tom Gaines Cinematic Viewer program ?
Question........obviously this util is for the old XL FREE with new DVD Profiler 3.x export. I like the fact it converts to a XL XML database and not just a Profiler XML import file. However, with that said where should this converted XL XML file be placed & named ? Since no import in XL is needed are there other changes like the BROWSE paths ? I know there are two of them....one path for the Profiler database, one for the Profiler xml file. So, is it I leave these alone and just never use the XL FREE import again ?

Also, with all the posts what is the latest rev ? I went up a few posts and downloaded 2.0.2716.23754 RC1.
http://www.trumman.com/dxc/dxc2_070610_rc1.rar.

I guess the other alternative is to use XL 7.x and import the Profiler 3.x XML....then move the XL 7.x database to XL FREE ?
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:21 pm

this utility runs OUTSIDE of xLobby, if I remember correctly. It creates it's own movie xml file, which you would then either rename, or change all your stuff to point to the new one. It doesn't grab everything though and I don't know what it does with coverart and if after it's done, you can do a refresh on teh database in xLobby (setting DVD Profiler settings to ignore) to pickup other stuff.
cmhardwick

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:04 pm

I am having a hard time trying to get the utility working. I had it working about 2 weeks ago but don't know what happened...I have tried to use it on two different machines and have had the same result...crash at about the 60% completed mark. If possible cmhardwick could you send me a zip of your utility for me to test? Email: sharpDOT2006ATyahooDOTcom Thanks!!!
sharp_1

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 pm

I used it for testing a couple of times and never got used to it and for what I wanted, just didn't seem to work for me. Nothing again Jovial, it's a great tool and I'm very appreciative of his hard work. I do the 'import to new and copy to old' method currently hehehe. I've still got an install for it somewhere though. I'll look for it tonight
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:01 pm

cmhardwick wrote:I used it for testing a couple of times and never got used to it and for what I wanted, just didn't seem to work for me. Nothing again Jovial, it's a great tool and I'm very appreciative of his hard work. I do the 'import to new and copy to old' method currently hehehe. I've still got an install for it somewhere though. I'll look for it tonight

Yeah, I hear you.....three ways I see to do this.

1) Export Profiler 3.x and import to XL 7.x, then move 7.x movies.xml to XL FREE directory and replace movies.xml there.
2) Use Tom Gaines Cinematic Viewer to import Profiler 3.x and export to 2.x, then import that file to XL FREE.
But as you said, CTL characters are mucked up. http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task ... cID=175000
3) Use this util...which I have not tried.
I undertand this converts to a XL FREE XML database which is not needed to import but I'm wondering about
the config options. My questions
SETUP MENU 2.0.2716.23754 RC1
DVD Profiler Database
C:\collection.xml
Got this....it's your Profiler 3.x export XML
DVD Profiler Image Library
C:\Documents and Settings\{name}\My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default\Images\
Got this....it's your Profiler 3.x default install location for images
XLobby Collection Database (used for input)
C:\Program Files\xlobby\databases\movies.xml
What the heck is this for ?.....why does it need your current XL FREE XML ?
XLobby Collection Database (used for output)
C:\Program Files\xlobby\databases\movies_dxc.xml
Undertand this is the converted XL FREE XML database. You rename it to movies.xml or point to it in XL FREE F2 and Refresh but not Import ?
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:12 pm

I don't remember why it needs the current one because I'm almost certain somewhere in this post jovial said he didn't check for what's there, just a full import each time.

i'm still hoping (against hope) for everyone that Steven could do one last quick fix on this for the free-lobby people. He knows the xml changes, so shouldn't be too hard, just when does he have time right now? hehehe

I tried AMC which many people here swear by, but it's so much thinner on the information compared to DVDProfiler and I'm used to all that stuff :)
cmhardwick

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Until I get my movie_dxc utility working I can't be sure but from my experience once you have converted the movie.xml all you need to do is refresh. I did notice that after running the utility a new xml file is created called movies_dxc.xml. Your movies screen database must be changed to the new movies_dxc.xml.
sharp_1

Postby thekochs on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:22 pm

cmhardwick wrote:I don't remember why it needs the current one because I'm almost certain somewhere in this post jovial said he didn't check for what's there, just a full import each time.

i'm still hoping (against hope) for everyone that Steven could do one last quick fix on this for the free-lobby people. He knows the xml changes, so shouldn't be too hard, just when does he have time right now? hehehe

I tried AMC which many people here swear by, but it's so much thinner on the information compared to DVDProfiler and I'm used to all that stuff :)

Totally agree....I look at AMC and not to insult anyone but definitely not as robust and DVDProfiler. Also, the new higher rez images Profiler has now is quite nice.

Like you, I hope Steven does make the XL FREE change for Profiler input....would help out considerably.
thekochs

Postby thekochs on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:28 pm

cmhardwick wrote:his utility creates an XLobby file, not a 2.0 export file that xlobby then imports. That's what I'm talking about, a direct conversion to the old DVD pro format that free xLobby can then be pointed to when you refresh the movie database :)

Sorry for all the questions but since no import in XL is needed are there other changes like the XL FREE F2 BROWSE paths ? I know there are two of them....one path for the Profiler database, one for the Profiler xml file. So, is it I leave these alone and just never use the XL FREE import again or I would suspect based on the above I either need to rename/copy the movies_dxc.xml to movies.xml or point the BROWSE path under the XML file location to movies_dxc.xml ?

Lastly, how do you refresh the database without doing a import ?

Thx.
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:41 pm

see sharp_1's post above, answers most of the questions. I'd say, in xLobby, since you'll change the settings to ignore DVDprofiler, those 2 entries won't make a difference.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:54 pm

sharp_1 wrote:Until I get my movie_dxc utility working I can't be sure but from my experience once you have converted the movie.xml all you need to do is refresh. I did notice that after running the utility a new xml file is created called movies_dxc.xml. Your movies screen database must be changed to the new movies_dxc.xml.

Pardon the dumb question but I'm at work and not in front of my HTPC...how/where do you REFRESH database instead of import ? I assume the movies database xml path location is in the movies database editor ?

To be honest, right now I'm having problems with getting the movie information in from Profiler 3.x import to XL 7.x (coverart is fine)...but when I do I think the best most straight forward is what cmhardwick is doing in just moving the movies.xml after that successful XL 7.x import to the XL FREE directory.
thekochs

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:35 pm

thekochs wrote:Pardon the dumb question but I'm at work and not in front of my HTPC...how/where do you REFRESH database instead of import ?

Maybe this will help:
Add a refresh command to a new DB refresh event making sure to add movies as the category you want to refresh.
sharp_1

PreviousNext