Weather Tweak

title says it all

Weather Tweak

Postby mattdisaster on Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:28 am

I was justing thinking about this: in myhtpc when you check the weather it will actually display your areas 5 days forcast, any ideas if this is possible in xlobby? I think it was be awesome to get say a 5 day weather forcast, even a simple one ( small graphic(clouds, partly cloudy, sunny, etc), est. temp, date, brief description ). Just a thought, dun know how easy/possible it would be.
mattdisaster

Postby Richard_P_Harvey on Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:44 pm

The hardest part of this is going to be finding an image that contains what you're looking for that is updated and always has the same URL. Take a look at what I did here:

http://www.rpharvey.com/images/xlobby/weather.jpg

I found the 5 day forecast at the WBZ-4 Boston website and the local radar at the ABC station also in Boston. If you want to replace all of the default weather images just go into the skin editor, delete these buttons (images) and cut and paste the URL's of the images you like. Re-size, position as needed and there you go. Also if you have more than one machine running Xlobby once you get one set up with the images you like just copy the skin.xml file from skins/default/weather to the same location on the second machine and poof it will be a clone of the first machine.
Richard_P_Harvey

Postby mattdisaster on Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:42 pm

thats an awesome idea! thanks for the screen shot it made me think of a few things to try out, i wanna try and get the doppler 300 motion map of my area from weather.com that would be cool, i'll keep you posted.
mattdisaster

Postby Richard_P_Harvey on Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:51 pm

I atempted to get a moving dopler image into Xlobby but for some reason it would not work. Let me know if you get it to work.
Richard_P_Harvey

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:55 pm

for sure the image would have to be a "gif", if you find one and it wont work send me the url and i'll run some tests
stevenhanna6

Postby mattdisaster on Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:46 pm

i found the like to the moving doppler image for my area on weather.com, the main problem using theirs is that instead of having say a set animated gif, they use a complicated (well it looks complicated) javascript app that does the updating, rather than compiling a .gif file under the same name everytime its updated. Makes sense on their end, gets rid of the compiling of animated .gif files ever 5 minutes or what have you, sucks for me though, I'm gonna go searching for another site that isnt so damn smart. heh

-matt
mattdisaster

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:16 am

you could always just add a browser object to display the website in xlobby, not very elegant looking though
stevenhanna6

Postby mattdisaster on Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:25 am

yea i know, i thought of that, great work on the new alpha though, hopefully by tonight i'll have some screenshots of my skin and stuff.
mattdisaster