Music filing

Speak your mind

Music filing

Postby Chris OH on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:24 am

Hi,

XLobby is the front end for my new HTPC and I am still figuring my way around the place. I am using EAC to rip CD and want to achieve the highest possible quality. To this end I am storing files as .wav and use an RME 9632 soundcard. My problem is that the .wav files do not store track listing information and so show up in a random order in XLobby. I have tried introducing numbers into the filenames and organising them into the correct order but XLobby ignores this. Any suggestions gratefully received.

TIA
Chris
Chris OH

Postby Tracie on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:05 pm

Hi Chris,
The problem that you're having is due to the fact that .wav files don't have id tags the way that lossy or other lossless file formats do, & unfortunately I don't think that there's a way around it. Have you considered using a lossless codec such as Monkey's Audio (.ape) or .flac? Lossless will give you the same quality as .wav, just in a more compressed format. It's not like lossy formats that actually take info away from the file, it just compresses the file a bit & you can always go back to .wav with no loss in quality.

I'm using .ape with good success, might be worth checking out.
Tracie

I am going to show my ignorance now..

Postby Chris OH on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:56 am

Many thanks Tracie,

I am a bit of a Luddite and still treasure my turntable and ever growing record collection. Computer audio is completely new to me and I am on a steep learning curve. I’m using EAC to rip CD’s and all I know how to do so far is put a CD into the drive, launch EAC, click the button that rips the tracks to a drive, get some artwork off the net, update the database and that’s me done. I have Monkey audio and LAME on the machine I believe, if I use one of these to compress the .wav files will I get the track ID tags? If so what is the easiest way to configure the software to get the best possible quality?

Chris
Chris OH

Postby Tracie on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:48 am

*I think* you can use EAC to rip to .ape, but I'm not sure & couldn't tell you how if it is possible. You may check EAC's forums on that. LAME is an .mp3 encoder & so you won't need that if you're looking for the best possible sound. I looked at all of this about 9 months ago & by far the easiest solution that I found is this:

http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/

I already owned it, so that was a bonus, but in retrospect even if all you use it for is ripping & encoding (as I do) it's still worth paying for IMHO. It's got a ripper (when in secure mode) that's on par with EAC & it's so much easier to use. You do need to make sure that the .ape plugin that you use for Winamp is the correct version - I think JRiver uses the latest one. I've heard really good things about EAC & CDEX both, but I found the learning curve steeper than I was patient, & JRiver makes it really easy. Once you've got the settings where you want them (& that's not really hard) it really is just pop the disc in & hit the rip button. It's also got a good tag editor that allows relatively easy editing of the id tags. The reason I don't use it for playback is that I found it to be a little unstable & it would occasionally crash - Winamp is rock solid, so I rip with Jriver & play back with Winamp (plus Winamp has Milkdrop :D ).

I still have some records too. :wink:
Tracie

Postby Chris OH on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:01 pm

Thanks Tracie, you’re a star :D , this is exactly what I wanted to know and I will check JRiver out at the weekend.

Chris

PS 3,000 ish and rising? How sad is that :oops: !
Chris OH

Postby Tracie on Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:19 pm

Hey no problem. Let me know if there's anything else that I can do to help, & have fun!
Tracie