XLobby as Shell

title says it all

XLobby as Shell

Postby analogroaming on Wed May 03, 2006 8:10 pm

I'm looking into using XLobby as a shell replacement. I've done this with Meedio and that worked fine. One of the problems though is that you need a way to start up other programs that would normally be called by Explorer such as a remote control TSR (snapstream, streamzap. etc) and any other background programs.

So I found this hot little program that lets you script your startup environment. It works quite well. It may even solve some focus issues as well since there won't be a taskbar loading.

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/compone ... nfo/id,79/

Again... something I found, not something I did... but check it out.
I especially like this one:

//BEGINNING OF SCRIPT
run async "c:\program files\eset\nod32.exe" /WAITSERVICE
run async hide "C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder\girder.exe"
if not process_exists webepg.exe
run async "C:\Program Files\MediaPortal\WebEPG.exe"
if not process_exists mediaportal.exe
run "C:\Program Files\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe"
else
goto 11
run async RunDll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
goto 3
run async taskkill | /F /T /IM MediaPortal.exe
goto 6
//END OF SCRIPT

-Each time a user logs on, a bunch of programs (AV program, remote control interface and TV guide retrieval) is launched and then finally Mediaportal is executed. If MediaPortal is already running in background, then it will forced to terminate beforehand. When user quits Mediaportal, the system is put to sleep. When the machine wakes up, Mediaportal is executed again and so on

Since it's not tied to Media Portal in any way, you could easily use this for XLobby.

Combine that with some info from here:
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/dokuw/h ... ize_win_xp

and you have a pretty sweet HTPC.
analogroaming

Re: XLobby as Shell

Postby dalanik on Thu May 04, 2006 10:00 am

I use LiteStep for this - it's small and I never had any problems with it.... it loads all stuff automatically, as explorer would 9with the benefit of no explorer) :-) Plus - no taskbar, baloon help, etc.

D.
dalanik

Postby analogroaming on Thu May 04, 2006 11:49 am

How easy is lightstep to get up and running for an HTPC environment?
analogroaming

Postby dalanik on Thu May 04, 2006 12:44 pm

analogroaming wrote:How easy is lightstep to get up and running for an HTPC environment?

I run it in minimum setup, that is, without any plugins or addons, so it's pretty easy. Just executables in 1 folder (doesn't need an install, just copy it there) and empty step.rc file (config file)

I probably use an older version of litestep, but for what I need I don't need any newer :-) I use it in conjuction with ShellOn (sets shell) and it works great.

http://www.lanik.org/litestep.zip

D,
dalanik