xnet or other way of remote control with axim wm5

Help each other out

xnet or other way of remote control with axim wm5

Postby matoos on Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi.
I searched a little bit over the forum for xnet explanation but I am still confused.
Could someone enlighten me please...

If I want to control what I see on tv remotly can I use xnet part of xLobby or are there any other suggestions.
I mean as far as I see it xnet is just another screen available to be seen on another pc`s screen...

Thx in advance

M
matoos

Re: xnet or other way of remote control with axim wm5

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Xnet is used for all sorts of purposes...it allows multiple machines to connect to one central one or "server". These machines can run a full copy of xlobby and operate all on their own (called fat clients), or they can run a simple executable and all commands/databases run on the server (called thin clients). Thin clients have their own screens to help "beutify" your control experience.

If I want to control what I see on tv remotly can I use xnet part of xLobby

You can surely control your xlobby machine this way. The only issue is speed. It usually takes a 1/2 second for commands that are sent from the thin client to be recognized by the server. If this is not an issue, then it is a very good way to control your system. Otherwise, get yourself a USB-UIRT and setup your remote, or a touchscreen and use a dual display option.

Oh and welcome to xlobby. The experience is sure enjoyable and rewarding when you get things going.
Marbles_00

Postby matoos on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Thank you very much.
I will try to get things going :).

Is there any special way to connect to xlobby server to be in control what you see on screen. Because I when I got connected to xlobby server it didnt do any changes on server screen, when I was surfing on ppc screen?
matoos

Postby Jay on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:11 pm

I believe that is the "Mimic" mode. I have not used it but I'm sure someone will jump in with that.
Jay

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:26 pm

For most Jay is correct. Use mimic. To expand on what he said, in your client server.txt file add the line mimic:true. In your server screen, you can add a button with the event that has the command:xlobby:mimic. Under status add ON (optional). Or you can create an event when starting up that runs the same event, then it is always running when xlobby is started.

The other thing you have to pay attention to is that all your PPC screen names should be named the same as the server screen names, only have added the "ppc" prefix in front (look at some of the different skin examples...I tried to do that in ZoneSkin4 for sure). Example:
Main menu is called: menu
Main ppc menu is called: ppcmenu

Then your goto events only need to reference the server screen names. Example
To go from main menu to music screen (for example sake we will call this screen music), you would have a button on the server with an event associated to it. This event would consist of the command:xlobby:goto screen:music.

You would then also have a ppcmenu screen, and a ppcmusic screen. A button on the ppcmenu screen would be associated to the exact same event above. You would not have to create a whole new event to command the screen change to goto the ppcmusic screen specifically.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00