database link with screen

Help each other out

Postby abobader on Fri May 05, 2006 2:24 am

Many thanks rembetis.

Till you the truth, I almost giveup on xlobby. But seeing your reply and suggest bring the hope again.

I wil ltry it today and let you know how thing went.

My best always.
abobader

Postby abobader on Sat May 06, 2006 2:42 am

Hi rembetis,

Sorry to inform you, something went wrong, I know the instruction very clear but it may be me, so let me post the instructions I used in the following order:

Step 1
1. Create your new TV database:
a. Hit F2 to bring up the setup screen.
b. Under Databases > Import, type a new name for your TV show database in the New DB field and click Add.
c. Select that new database in the "Import to DB" drop-down menu and select the paths to your TV files.
d. Read this thread and this thread for options on how to create an import template with Show/Season/Episode structure.
e. Click Import.

Step 2
2. Create your new TV show screen:
a. Hit Pause/Break to bring up skin editor
b. Under the "Goto" tab on top, choose your movies screen.
c. Then under the Screen > Add tabs, type in a new name for your TV Show screen in the "New Screen" field and hit Clone.
d. Now, under the Item > Category > Database tabs, click on the area that contains your movie database, make sure it is highlighted and then select your new database.
e. Options under the Item > Category > Layout tabs will help you customize the number and spacing of your database entries.

Step 3
Now as far as your empty popup screen after clicking Columbo > Season 1, you will need to change some things there as well. If you look at your Movies screen as an example, and highlight the database section in the Skin Editor, you will see under Item > Category that in the Info Screen field it says "overlay:movieviewer". Movieviewer is the name of the screen that shows the info on the selected movie and allows you to play it, so you will need to clone Movieviewer and make a TVviewer screen (named whatever you want). Use the steps I already gave to do that, and then change "overlay:movieviewer" on your TV page to "overlay:TVviewer". You will also need to highlight and change the various information boxes in the TVviewer overlay so that the Item> Text reads "category>[name of your TV database]>[database field, like actors, year, etc]

Step 4 as checking issue
If you go to your TV database screen, and highlight the database in the Skin Editor, under Item > Category, what does it say in the Name field? You need to have the same name as your TV database there. I think I forgot to mention that before and you probably have "movies" for both your TV and Movie screen, which is why Xlobby is not updating the images when you switch between them.

Step 5
1. First, you will need to create a new event "Goto TV Series":
a. Hit F2 to bring up the Setup menu.
b. Click on Events on the left, and then open up Skin > Goto. With "Goto" highlighted, click Add Event.
c. Call the new event "TV" or "TV Series" or whatever.
d. With your new event highlighted, and the Commands tab open on the right part of the screen, open the Xlobby group and select "Goto Screen"
e. Type in the name of the screen you created for your TV Series (make sure it's exactly the same).
f. Click Add and make sure the new event now appears on the left.
e. Close the Setup screen

2. Once your new event is created, you need to assign it to the button:
a. Open the Skin Editor (Pause/Break)
b. Use the Goto Menu to open your Menu page.
c. Click and highlight the button you want to change (or create a new one with Screen > Add Button).
d. Under Item > Event, click Assign under Click Event.
e. Find your new event in the Skin subfolder and click it.
f. Close the Skin Editor and test your button.

Step 6
Double-check to see if xlobby put "movies" back in under Item > Category > Name for your TV Database screen. I just did a little test following my own directions and I think because we cloned the Movie screen Xlobby is getting confused.

Try this instead: go to your TV screen, highlight the TV Database and delete. Then go to Screen > Add and type the name of your TV database into the Category field and click add. Now go back to Item > Category > Database and link the TV database again. Lastly, make sure the name of the database in the the "Name" field at the top. Because you have multiple levels to your database, you may need to include a Category reset event in your Goto TV Screen event if you find that the TV Database isn't reset to the top level whenever you open it.

To do this, open up the Events section of the Setup Menu, find your goto TV event, highlight it, and then navigate to Command > Category > Reset in the window on the right. Type your Category name in empty field (should be same as your database name if you followed the directions above) and then add that event to your Goto TV event.

Regarding the issue for Step 6, you are correct, xlobby still put the "movies" there, but doing the step 6, it somehow make thing worst, as the layout for both "Movies" and "TV Series" screens missing up.

As I said, I am sure it from me, maybe the steps not in the right order?

The database name is "tv" and the screen name is "TV Series".

I will try again with clean skin and modify one screen and hope thing get better, or going with the xml files.

I list the steps order here just to be sure I follow it as it should.

Thanks in advanced for reading this post.

My best always.
abobader

Postby rembetis on Sat May 06, 2006 2:49 am

Hi Abobader. It's late here and I had a long day. Tomorrow I head out of town for a few days but I will check back with this thread when I return. I'm very sorry you are still having problems. Really wish someone with a working TV database would show up and respond...
rembetis

Postby jowaldo on Sat May 06, 2006 7:18 am

rembetis wrote:Hi Abobader. It's late here and I had a long day. Tomorrow I head out of town for a few days but I will check back with this thread when I return. I'm very sorry you are still having problems. Really wish someone with a working TV database would show up and respond...

I wish I could help... but I haven't got far enough setting up my tv database yet to be much use :(
jowaldo

Postby abobader on Sat May 06, 2006 7:18 pm

rembetis wrote:Hi Abobader. It's late here and I had a long day. Tomorrow I head out of town for a few days but I will check back with this thread when I return. I'm very sorry you are still having problems. Really wish someone with a working TV database would show up and respond...

Hi rembetis,

Enjoy your trip and I wish you safe home return.

Good news, I start with fresh copy of xlobby and skin, printout the instructions and it work, screens with database linking all ok now :)

Sure I have a lots of homework to do, as coping the search and the play event, also I will go a head and make events group for tv series and cartoon as well.

rembetis, you are the da man, as I said it before, without your full details step by step instructions, I could never manage to go this far, many thanks and my best always.

jowaldo: Many thanks.

My best.
abobader

Postby rembetis on Sun May 07, 2006 9:38 pm

abobader wrote:Good news, I start with fresh copy of xlobby and skin, printout the instructions and it work, screens with database linking all ok now :)

That is good news. Glad to hear it! Because I was almost out of ideas :wink:
rembetis

Postby abobader on Wed May 10, 2006 1:39 pm

Hi Rembetis,

I hope you doing well.

I only run to small problem when I add the cat., it not big issue, but could not manage to fix it:

When I move the mose over the movie cover, normally yollow border highlight the movie, moving to next one (with mouse) highlight with yollow border box and so on (I hope I explain the issue well).

As this only happend when I do cat. is Step 6 to correct the database link matters with screen.

Any idea how to fix that, I tried the dufault skin as well the havymetal one.

My best.
abobader

Postby rembetis on Wed May 10, 2006 5:42 pm

abobader wrote:Any idea how to fix that

If I am understanding you correctly, go to your TV screen.

1. Open Skin Editor
2. Highlight Database
3. Under Item > Category > Display tabs, click "Selected"
4. In the popup box, go under the "Image" tab and select whatever image is used for the Movie screen. I think it is "gold-square.png."

Hope that helps.
rembetis

Postby abobader on Wed May 10, 2006 6:01 pm

rembetis!!!

Well done indeed, that did it.

Without you Mr. Rembetis, with this amazing understanding very kind personal, that you kept helping and dedicated a lots of time on this thread, I will never manage to do all that.

I learn a lots from your help and the deep steps instructions, truly no words enough here to full the thanks. Thank You.

This thread come to it's final chapter.

My best.
abobader

Postby a06lp on Wed May 10, 2006 9:07 pm

@abobader:

I am the one who you copied your metatags from (my post was linked to, by rembetis).

Even though I got my Database improted correctly, I can't seem to get my screen working properly.

I plan to follow the instruction you listed above to see if re-doing the screen will help.
Is there anything else you did besides the above steps?
What player are you using to watch the TV eps? I am using Media Player Classic (MPC), and my problem is that the entire series queues up every time I click an episode (instead of playing just the one I click).
What is your "playTV" event?
a06lp

Postby rembetis on Thu May 11, 2006 12:15 am

I just finished setting up a TV database for my kids' Little Einstein episodes and everything is working perfectly. You're on the right track in your other thread, a06lp, i.e. creating a details overlay, with a play button. That way you can display plot synopses, etc., as well. Take a look at the event for "play movie" (under Movies) in the default skin -- it includes a Category > Execute command. Obviously you'll need MPC listed as the player for those extensions in the File Type section of the setup, as well as any relevant Command Line Switches (don't use MPC, so I can't tell you) and you may need a Category reset event added to your goto TV screen event so that your TV heirarchy is reset each time you enter the screen.
rembetis

Postby abobader on Thu May 11, 2006 9:42 am

a06lp,

I see you solved your issue already, as rembetis give some suggestion in this thread, in fact I did in 2 way, one is similer to your solution, second one simply adding folders structions do the trick.

My best.
abobader

Postby a06lp on Thu May 11, 2006 12:20 pm

yup, thanks.
a06lp

YES!!!

Postby bmitchin on Thu May 11, 2006 12:54 pm

Gentlemen,

I have been searching these boards for a few weeks to try to figure out how to create some screens for TV eps and a few other categories. I had just about come to the conclusion that this application was beyond my capabilities given the lack of docs. The above thread makes a GREAT tutorial on how to build a new screen! It covers all of the topics I knew I needed to understand (events, dbs, skinning etc). I can't wait to get on the plane and start playing again.

I hope my quest for the perfect front end has been accomplished... or is that just beginning?

THANKS!!!
bmitchin

Postby abobader on Fri May 19, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi rembetis,

All good now, only very small issue that I could not manage to fix, been looking for the past week but no luck.

Remeber when you give instructions for making border box when you hover the mouse over the coverart for movie name and a like? Well, in other screen when I do that, name of the move I hover the mouse over it come out in the smilecity and hevymetal, but in some screen cat. it do not.

I look under text (category>doc>title) and all ok, but the name do not come out.

It very small issue, but could not manage to knwo the reason why it do not display the name of the title. This only happend in 2 screen, all the others are ok.

The database named "doc".

My best.
abobader

PreviousNext