Visualization screen

title says it all

Visualization screen

Postby bmblank on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 pm

It's probably not a breakthrough, but I'm pretty proud of my find.
I use winamp and I have just been getting into skinning and programming buttons to events... While millin around in the events I saw the one under skins/music/ named start visualization. To me this sounded like it would start the normal winamp vis, so I starting looking up a cool vis for winamp. I found one and installed it. Went to play with it and I realized there is already one there that comes with winamp. I set it up and set up a button on xlobby, works like a charm.

If you're into visualizations and aren't into downloading a bunch of add-on crap that needs xlobby plugins and winamp plugins and all that, just set up a button that triggers the event "SKINS/music/start visualization". You'll have to set up the vis outside of xlobby so winamp knows what to start. Personally I like the "sexy voiceprint analyzer" or whatever it is. It'll pop up full screen and then hit the button you set up for the vis again and it'll disappear.

If you haven't noticed I'm a little long winded, but thanks for bearin with me.

Ben
bmblank

Postby jowaldo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:26 pm

yep this has been well used in the past... the main reason for people using all of those other plugins, is to have it in a small exact position on the screen..

for full screen winamp vis plugins this is the way to go
jowaldo

Postby slaman on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:37 pm

The only problem is how do you exit the full-screen visualization?

If you minimize and close it using the "x", then you can no longer start it again using XLobby.
slaman

Postby memoe on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:23 am

Slaman,

Just a thought here. I see you have two posts that might be related by my suggestion. If you use the XRemote plugin, you can do the following:

1) Control WMP without killing Winamp. I think when you kill winamp, there is no way to tie Winamp back to XLobby.

2) Start and stop Visualization from the Same button. Start Visualization will also Stop it when it is running. It is really a toggle.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3244

I hope this helps.
memoe

Re: Visualization screen

Postby bmblank on Tue May 29, 2007 9:40 pm

You know, it's kinda funny. I guess I'd say I'm to the point that I'm xlobby "literate". Not nearly to the point of alot of you, but I've modified my fair share of skins... I've tried out my fair share of plugins... Seeing me so excited about that just makes me feel foolish now. None-the-less, I'm glad I figured it out..

And for future reference (for others) the way I'm doing it is with a thin client (a bunch of dell axims, mostly). I have a button in overlay that is Visualization. I hit it and the vis comes up on the server (we haven't disabled GUI because we are going to have tvs and a projector running off of it). I hit vis again and it turned it off (figured that out just by chance).

I haven't even though of how to turn it off with a remote. Best thing I can think of is to have an xlobby screen come up behind the vis for the sole purpose of making buttons for a remote. Each remote control button would be linked to an action (specific to the screen behind the vis). You could have the generic, play, pause, next, back... and then you'd need to set up a special button for exit vis, which would not only exit the vis, but exit the screen behind the vis. There wouldn't be any sort of gui to go with this screen, you'd just have to know which button on the remote does it.
bmblank

Postby slaman on Wed May 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out - didn't see this post at all!
slaman

Re:

Postby slaman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:14 am

memoe wrote:Slaman,

Just a thought here. I see you have two posts that might be related by my suggestion. If you use the XRemote plugin, you can do the following:

1) Control WMP without killing Winamp. I think when you kill winamp, there is no way to tie Winamp back to XLobby.

2) Start and stop Visualization from the Same button. Start Visualization will also Stop it when it is running. It is really a toggle.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3244

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

I'm a bit confused with this feature:
- You can assign to a button a different event for each screen in xlobby

Currently, my remote controls Winamp. If Winamp is not open, then my remote controls MPC. The problem is, whenever Xlobby is loaded, Winamp is loaded... therefore, I can't control MPC/movies.

How do I set it up so that when I'm in the Movies screen, the remote controls MPC, and when in the Music screen, the remote controls Winamp?

I don't have Girder set up - the remote is a Logitech diNovo and somehow is able to control MPC and Winamp using Logitech's Setpoint software...

Do I need to setup Girder to do this?
slaman

Re: Re:

Postby memoe on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:07 pm

Slaman,

Sorry, it took me a while to reply. Let me see if I can clear up a few things here.

slaman wrote:
I'm a bit confused with this feature:
- You can assign to a button a different event for each screen in xlobby

Currently, my remote controls Winamp. If Winamp is not open, then my remote controls MPC. The problem is, whenever Xlobby is loaded, Winamp is loaded... therefore, I can't control MPC/movies.

When using the XRemote Plugin, you get to specify the action for each screen. The docs are here:

http://www.france.xlobby.com/xremoteus.htm

This screen shot shows this feature:
slaman wrote:How do I set it up so that when I'm in the Movies screen, the remote controls MPC, and when in the Music screen, the remote controls Winamp?

I don't have Girder set up - the remote is a Logitech diNovo and somehow is able to control MPC and Winamp using Logitech's Setpoint software...

Do I need to setup Girder to do this?

I don't think you need girder for this. The Logitech diNovo is another matter. I have a the diNovo with the media keypad. The LCD display is great, but it works with Winamp and not with any movie playing software. There are a couple of options here. You could skip the Setpoint software altogether, then you lose the LCD display for Winamp. Instead, you might want to check out http://www.mstarmetro.net/~rlowens/uberOptions/. This will give you much more control over the Logitech buttons, then the setpoint software.

Just to emphasize, I think to get maximum benefit out of the remote, you are better off sending the keystrokes to XLobby, than directly to the media software (e.g. Winamp, MPC, etc.)

I hope this helps.
memoe

Postby slaman on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Excellent reponse - thank you! XRemote will be my next "project"

I did enable a full-screen overlay which was a giant "button" that was Default and Navigable. It worked wonders in XP, and when I "clicked" the visualization would stop and the overlay would close...

For some reason, when I reinstalled everything on Vista, I can't seem to "click" this anymore... I can't stop the visualization and overlay doesn't close.

Any ideas?
slaman

Postby slaman on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:22 am

I've found that Xlobby loses "focus" when the visualization is started. Any idea on how to prevent this?
slaman